Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 24-70mm f/2.8 L not sharp.

Re: 24-70mm f/2.8 L not sharp.

Boy, that sure does describe me....

How much does it cost to belong to Canon Professional services?

I sent back my 50mm f/1.2L becaues of backfocusing, though I don't know if that can be helped because it focused fine at f/1.2, it just sucked up close when stopped down from f/2.0-f/4.0. I sent it back with my 5D, and they were supposedly going to look at them together...

Do they calibrate them at different apertures as well? They claimed to have made an adjustment to a PC board, but I don't know. I do know it came back with the same behavior.

However, I also just returned a 135mm f/2.0 for an exchange. It had the same problem with two bodies (5D and 30D), both of which worked fine with all of the rest of my lenses.

I told Canon, and they didn't explain the whole tolerances and calibration thing. They said that the pictures looked fine, and that if I wanted more in focus, I should stop down. In each of the pictures, I used the center autofocus point, and focused on the TIP of the screw. I told them that the only one which was REALLY right was at the minimum focusing distance, and then as I moved farther away, it got worse and worse.

These are crops that I sent them. You tell me if I'm the jackass.... [] After reading this, if it wasn't for the money thing, I'd be inclined to order a 1DmkIII and a 5DmkII right now! If it's in focus, the performance wide open is phenomenal.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin

How much does it cost to belong to Canon Professional services?

I sent back my 50mm f/1.2L becaues of backfocusing, though I don't know if that can be helped because it focused fine at f/1.2, it just sucked up close when stopped down from f/2.0-f/4.0. I sent it back with my 5D, and they were supposedly going to look at them together...

Do they calibrate them at different apertures as well? They claimed to have made an adjustment to a PC board, but I don't know. I do know it came back with the same behavior.

CPS got updated not too long ago, such that you have to make a majority of your income from photography.

I've heard that the 50L has focus shift issues when stopped down between f/1.2 and f/5.6. That's probably what you're suffering from. See http://www.lensrentals.com/rent/cano....2-l/for-canon for their description.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

I wonder how they verify the majority of your income....

I'm incorporated. Photography is part of my business. My corporation gives me a paycheck. It'd be nice to generate the majority of my income with photography. I'd prefer it over programming control systems.

Maybe I'll ask them...

Otherwise, I can just send lenses back until they match my bodies, which seem to at least match each other...

Quote Originally Posted by peety3

I've heard that the 50L has focus shift issues when stopped down between f/1.2 and f/5.6. That's probably what you're suffering from. See http://www.lensrentals.com/rent/cano....2-l/for-canon for their description.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Yeah, that article/summary pretty much sums it up. I loved it. I hated it. I sold it. I miss it. I never want another one.

Make a Mk II version that can focus correctly at all apertures, and I'll be all over it. I want the 85mm f/1.2L IIwithout manual focus by wire, closer minimum focusing distance, weather sealing, and at 50mm. I loved what I got when I got what I wanted, but I want to be able to depend on at least a single focus point to be in focus! It made me want to beat somebody with a frozen tuna! I'd like to meet the guy who decided that behavior was okay, shake his hand, and then pull his arm out of his socket.

I hear you. Well, I want the 85LII first though, but I'll take the 50LII too when the funds are there.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Focal length, I had a similar issue with my lens, not an L but with all the advice I got it came down to basics', focal length. Yeah you can up the speed a bit but try the basics' first, distance yourself a bit from the subject and take a few shots at different focal lengths with an increase to your aperature, bump that up a bit also. The issue I had with my lens was that the tip of the nose was in focus and the eyes were out of focus. I bumped up the aperature from 2.8 to 5.6 - 8 and put a few extra feet between me and what I was shooting and that fixed the problem. Then slowly adjust focal length, aperature and shot again, compare, trial and error. I'm only new to this myself but I have found going back to basics' fixes a lot of my issues, hope this is helpfull to you.