Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nifty Fifty--What are your thoughts?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Nifty Fifty--What are your thoughts?

Well, I have been reviewing my lens arsenal and realized I don
    Bob

Re: Nifty Fifty--What are your thoughts?

G
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Good Idea--I think I wil do that----Thanks Steve
    Bob

Bob,

I am a little surprised that you aren't planning on using one of your flashes.

I have the 50 f/1.8. I have used it for exactly what you are talking about, ambient light family functions around different houses. I find that I need to be between f/1.8 and f/2.5 most of the time. It works very well with three primary issues:
    • On a crop body (I also shoot the 7D), the DOF is shallow at those apertures, it canbe a little tough to get multiple people in the focal plane or to "capture a scene."
    • White balance gets interesting. I thinkbecause there are so many different types of light anymore. TVs (plasma, LCD, or LED), LED, tungston and flourecent lights and maybe evensome sunlight could all be contributing light to the same scene.I adjust the white balance, of course, but I am finding that I need to do it to almost every shot. I haven't tried a custom white balance, but I also think it may change from room to room.
    • Everyone keeps reminding me that my "flash didn't go off." []

That said, I think it is a great option to have in your bag. The 50 mm f/1.8 (~$120) does feel a little cheap, but it is optically great if you want a lower budget alternative. I haven't been disappointed.

Brant

Hello, I own the EF 50mm f/1.8 MkI, for what it cost me I can

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72
    I am a little surprised that you aren't planning on using one of your flashes

Actually, I do plan on using the flash whenever possible, But for faces lit by campfire etc, the flash just wouldn't work for the mood---Of course, If I buy the lens, that opportunity will never occur---if I don't buy the lens, I will probably see several opportunities and wish I had one. What is one to do [:^)]--But for the price of either the 1.8 or 1.4 why leave it to chance. Thanks for the tips on the lens usage, Bob

Bob

While I don't own either, I did recently make a purchase from Adorama. Inside the box was a catalogue along with a review of the different versions of the 50mm ( both Nikon and Canon). They weren't trying to figure out which company made the best lens, but were the higher priced versions that much better. They quoted the chief scientist at DxO Labs questioning the real benefits of the faster lens. I think you can go to the Adorama website and look in the learning center part.Search for 50mm shoot-out.
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

Hi Bob, I have the 1.4 version and love it. Turns out, it is a great lens for indoor volleyball. Who knew? I sit courtside and on a cropped frame camera, it does a splendid job. It is also a great walkaround lens since it weighs nothing. You won't regret purchasing this lens as it is quite versatile too. I shot this abstract with it while at dinner with the family, along a creek with some ducks moving ever so slightly.

7D, f/1.4 lens set at f/4, 13 sec (no tripod, just sitting atop my photo bag), ISO 250

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/640x360/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/9/4075.ducks.jpg[/img]

Plain and simple the Nifty Fifty is great for the price.

The only thing is I wish it did better was focus faster. In a

Quote Originally Posted by erno james
    Hi Bob, I have the 1.4 version and love it.

That has been the general consensus form the folks here on the site and other reviews I have read---especially considering the price----BTW, Great Colors

Bob

Bob