Thread: 16-35 f2.8 question

16-35 f2.8 question

A friend (5DMKll body) is buying herself a b-day gift and asked me if this lens would be a good choice for capturing people at an indoor wedding reception. Having no experience, knowledge on this....I'm asking the folks here that shoot weddings....thoughts?

Her other motivation for this lens is landscape photography.

Thanks in advance for your input......

Bill

Re: 16-35 f2.8 question

I'm not a wedding photographer, nor do I own the 16-35mm lens, but I have taken pictures at wedding receptions and parties for friends and family with a 5D Mark II. I recommend the 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM for indoor portraits and group shots. The longer focal length range will be useful for candid shots. It is unlikely that anything wider than 24mm would be required, even for large group shots. Bear in mind that the effective range of a flash is greatly reduced at extreme wide angles, and facial features can become distorted when shot close-up with an ultra-wide focal length. Wedding guests are not likely to appreciate this.

Either the 16-35mm or24-70mm would make an excellent choice as a landscape lens, but if I had to pick only one it would be the 24-70mm. I find it to be a more useful range and it works well with a polariser when wider angles can suffer from uneven saturation of the sky.
    Last edited by Andy Stringer; 11-12-2011 at 09:45 AM.

I love wide angle photography, so I think 16-35 is great for reception shots. Longer lenses will isolate the subject more from their background, but ultrawides will let you bring all that background in. For example, the B&G kissing with a host of people behind them clapping. I think it

I second the 24-70, its still wide and a nice zoom to it. I think the 16-35 is too wide for that all in one lens to get. I know you cant get it all in 1 lens but 24 at full frame is pretty wide.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven23

I second the 24-70, its still wide and a nice zoom to it. I think the 16-35 is too wide for that all in one lens to get. I know you cant get it all in 1 lens but 24 at full frame is pretty wide.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

I agree with Steve. I personally do not like wide angle but sometimes have to depending on the situation. I find the 24mm on FF plenty wide for me.

Mark
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Bill W
    Her other motivation for this lens is landscape photography.

I don't do weddings, but at 35mm I find that range very use full for indoor event shooting. You might find it to wide for your taste, or maybe not. Of course the 24-70mm is going to give you more range to work with.

But if your friend is just doing one wedding and landscape is the main purpose. I would go with the 16-35mm II hands down.

I own both, the 24-70mm and the 16-35mm II. The 16-35 puts out better results than the 24-70mm.

If I had to choose between the two for an all around lens, I would give up the range for the 16-35mm. If I were choosing for landscape it would be the 16-35mm all the way.

Wish her luck either way

Thank you for your input folks....I