Thread: what do i need to learn strobism?

what do i need to learn strobism?

Hello,

i really want to learn how to shoot with the flash off camera but don

Re: what do i need to learn strobism?

Strobist 102 Lessons with David Hobby is where I would start []

As for the TTL and Triggers, Unless you are shooting "run&gun" stye, manual mode would be the easiest. So without TTL, InfinityGadget just came out with their new Cactus V5 wireless triggers which are so far reviewed to be excellent "dumb" wireless triggers (I'll be replacing my V4's soon). It looks like they've greatly improved the build so it's not as fragile as it was as before. And of course when it comes to manual flashes you can get pretty good ones for fraction of the price of TTL flashes! Vivitar285HV and YN560 would both be $80-100 each.

*edit* - If I were choose between Vivitar285HV and YN560 now, I would choose YN560 since it has a built in optical trigger and the Vivitar doesn't. It's very convenient to use indoors. Outdoors it gets sketchy so I'd use a wireless trigger for that.

You also might want to check out my write-up on here, "Interested in Strobism." It's a little bit dated now as new equipment has come out, but it's still a good starting point. And I must agree with the above--the YN560 is a great flash for the money. I just received one this weekend and I've been playing with it ever since. It's a great little flash for the money. However, it is not an ETTL flash--only manual.

I am also very interested in getting the flash off camera. I

If you must use TTL, your only options (that I know of) are the PocketWizard mini/flex series, RadioPopper JrX series (or whatever they

You can buy inexpensive remote flash units that are triggered by the on camera flash. This happens so fast that it makes no difference to the lighting. You will need to set everything manually, but a little practice, and a few test shots before shooting will get you the right settings.

Strobist kit on the way

I just ordered a strobist kit from Midwest Photo Exchange and am pumped to start using it!

1 x LumoPro LP633 Umbrella Swivel w/ Flash Shoe Adapter
    1 x LumoPro LP160 Quad Sync Manual Flash
    1 x LumoPro LP605 7ft. Compact Light Stand
    Strobist gel kits, etc...
    1 x Westcott 43" Collapsible Umbrella White Satin
    1x LumoPro Hot Shoe Universal Translator with Female PC and 1/8" (3.5mm) Minip

I'm using it with a 60D. It's cold outside now and dark when I get home so maybe this will give me something to do. I plan to put the universal translator on the camera and run a 1/8" audio cable to the flash & light stand setup.

I've checked out strobist.blogspot.com and done some reading there. If anyone has other tips I'd be happy to hear them.

Dave

Just thought I would share this video as well. Very helpful for the strobist inside.

http://speedliting.com/how-to/syl-ar...Speedliting%29
    Bob

Pick up some Cybersyncs.

Definitely need: Speedlighter's Handbook Sly Arena