Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My frustration level is at its peak right now!

Re: My frustration level is at its peak right now!

This is a few of them ...I still need to edit the others.

Thanks for viewing!

Denise

Quote Originally Posted by Steven23

Please post some, did you shoot raw or jpg? The back of your camera will look better than on the pc some times.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

I always shoot in raw but I guess may main frustration is due to there being so much detail lost because of the distance that 400mm cannot cover. I used the extender but only for alittle while when he was sitting in the tree but only for a few shots.

Denise

Denise, I have never had a chance to shoot ABE, but I can tell it

Hi Denise, thanks for posting the images. I like the down the beak look on that second last bird. But you really should have climbed the tree and set up a flash so you could get rid of that beak shadow. LOL.

And I like the second shot, the shape is nice it just has a bit too much blue sky under him, maybe crop it a bit, resize and put a frame around it and I think it would look really good in the 6x9 format. Is it 6x9? That panorama size and cropping?

I wouldn't give up yet, you are a lot further along this path than most of us.[Y]

Steve
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725
    I always shoot in raw but I guess may main frustration is due to there being so much detail lost because of the distance that 400mm cannot cover. I used the extender but only for alittle while when he was sitting in the tree but only for a few shots.

Denise

Buying a new 1D Mark IV and a new 500mm will make you feel better. (500mm because the current 600mm is to heavy, unless you get the new 600mm II) It will help get better pictures as well, I can attest to that, but it won't solve the main problem.

Getting close to wildlife is another skill unto itself and thats the real problem for all of us. Going where the game is, and shooting the easy ones that every one can see those are the soft targets. Spending several days staking out one spot that is prime on the river waiting for the eagle to drop down in front of you, just so you can get one chance at one set of shots, thats a different game. Big lenses give you a better chance, but getting close that is the game.

I will share some frustration with you. A few weeks ago when the lakes here were frozen someone told me about a lake where eagles were. I went out to check it out. The lake was not big at all. Probably didn't cover more than a half square mile. I saw a spot that looked good, but didn't stop. Went over by a dock about two hundred yards away. I hadn't even taken my camera out of the backpack and a male went right over our truck. It landed right in front of where I had originaly thought about setting up on the ice. I hurried to get the camera out, the eagle was jumping up and down on the ice trying to break it. I took a series of pics, of course not checking the settings I just ended up with a black and white mess. Then took a few but it was really to far away. I tried to sneak closer but he would just move further away. So that day no luck, I could see him out on the ice all day but he wouldn't get close.

So I went a few Saturdays later. Staked out a spot almost all day and,,,,,,nothing. I had a lot of fun. To me its catch and release hunting.

On the harder to get wildlife, the fun is in the chase. If the chase gets to where it isn't fun then I will probably quit.

Have Fun

Rick

<span style="font-size: small;"]Denise,

<span style="font-size: small;"]Wait, dont, stop, please don't do it----Nothing is that bad-----<span style="font-size: medium;"]Put the credit card on the ground and step away!!! <span style="font-size: small;"]Seriously, Go ahead and get the big guns, I know I want too for exactly the same reasons you do. I literally had over 10,000 shots of sandhills shot over 3 years and maybe 5 or 6 were really keepers. I spent two weekends going through all of them and sending most to the recycle bin. Many were shot with the same combo you have. So I feel your pain girl. Like others said that 100-400 is a beast and tough to get right, but when it is right----it's a great lens. One suggestion---when at all possible, use a tripod andfocus live view X10---Its amazing what the lens is capable of. I never really appreciated how good that lens was until I shot my H-birds---and that took me all summer just to get a few keepers. I saw the biggest gain in IQ when I went from my aluminum bogan manfrotto tripod to the gitzo. I don't know what others have discovered, but a solid tripod at 400+ mm makes all the difference in the world. Unfortunately, to date, I have yet to get the AF on the 100-400 dialed in, It's close, but never as good as the lens is really capable of. So, take another day off tomorrow, and go chase those eagles----.

<span style="font-size: medium;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]Btw---I thought your shots were pretty good----I certainly would be proud to have them in my collection.

<span style="font-size: medium;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]One last thing----Wanna guess what the UPS man delivered as I type this------My brand new 100L IS---I know, you already have one,but it's always nice to get new toys delivered to your door step. Now go have a glass of wine or two, get on cabella's web page and order you some camo so you can get closer to those dang birds.

<span style="font-size: medium;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]Bob
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Williams
    <span style="FONT-SIZE: medium"]Put the credit card on the ground and step away!!!
    LoL! Thanks, Bob! I was actually thinking that if I sold a few lenses and the 7d, I'd have enough to by a new &amp; better camera and get the lens used. As I started to go thru them it went something like this ...well, no maybe not this one, I like this one ....maybe this one ...no, that one is one of my favorites ...maybe I don't need this one ...oh, but I like that one too ...no, not my macro, I love my macro! You get the point!!

As Sean said, I'll figure it out ...eventually! Maybe those hummingbirds will be better for me to aim at in a few months! They will be closer anyway!

In the meantime ...I am waiting for my TS-E 90mm to come in the mail ...another lens I don't need! If I wouldn't have bought it before today ...I never would have after all this happened!

Denise

<div>

Hi Denise,

Sorry, to hear about your struggles today!

As, you may recall I have a 7D and a MK IV. Certainly the MK IV is better, however the 7D is very good too. Although I don't own a 100-400mm f/5.6 I have been impressed with the photos that I have seen posted here, especially for the price. Keep in mind that although a lot of BIF shots are shot at 5.6 or higher, the 5.6 variable aperture is certainly a much slower Auto focusing lens then a constant f/4 lens, which will focus twice as fast.

However,<span style="font-size: 11.6667px;"]I was looking through your EXIF data and I would like to make a couple of suggestions that I have learned from shooting action photography.

<span style="font-size: 11.6667px;"]1) for BIF with a clear blue sky background try using Manual select: AF expansion, or Manual select : Zone AF

(You currently have Single point AF selected, and I think that it is too hard to lock in on a BIF with your current setting.)

2) I also prefer evaluative metering as opposed to spot metering for action shots.

3) I would encourage you to learn how to use the AF-ON, back button for tracking and auto-focusing and then just use the shutter button for capturing the shot.

4) I would turn Focus Search to OFF.

5) I would suggest shooting in High Speed Continuous, as opposed to your current setting of Single. <span>Every time you press the shutter button, you have a chance of jerking the camera, as opposed to holding the shutter button down continuously.

6) I would avoid using the shutter release cable for action photography such as BIF. I would also like to see both hands on the camera, in order to make quicker setting adjustments.

7) I would avoid the 1.4X extender with the 100-400mm f/5.6 variable aperture as stated above, because you lose an f/stop, you lose AF, and you lose 50% of your AF speed which becomes a mute point, since the lens is manual focus only with the 7D.

8) I would recommend a monopod with a monopod head, or hand holding for BIF or action shots as opposed to the tripod.

9) I would lose the polarizing filter for action shots with a slow lens like this one, because you lose an f/stop as well as AF speed and it's difficult to turn the polarizer with the hood on. Some of the faster prime lenses such as the 200-800mm primes have the polarizing filter in the back of the lens, so it's easier to turn with the hood on.

10) I would consider a faster prime lens such as the 400, 500 or 600, before upgrading to a MK IV, plus the 7D has further reach.

<span style="font-size: 11.6667px;"]I hope this helps, if you have any questions about any of the above settings, just let me know.

Kindly, excuse me, if I have made any incorrect assumptions.

Rich
    <div></div>
    </div>

Rich

All good stuff.

If I might add one, for eagles Highlight Tone Priority "enabled" since they are mainly white black birds.

Thanks Rick!