Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: My frustration level is at its peak right now!

Re: My frustration level is at its peak right now!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Lane

Are you using the AF-On for tracking? Because another advantage is that it is much easier to track by fully pressing the AF-ON button, then it is to track with a half-press shutter button.

No, I will give it a try though. Especialy if I use the 7D or 5D since they are lacking when it comes to AI servo. The 1D IV I don't think it will matter either way, I have been getting sharp shots out of AI servo both moving and sitting.

Thanks

Rick

Rod;

First let me say all of your pix are of hawks....red tail, I believe. Adult female and male American Bald Eagles (ABE) look exactly the same w/the female being slightly larger. Juveniles are mostly dark w/out the white w/brown bars (note perched shot and overhead shot...same chest markings) on the chest. Brant and I have posted plenty of juvie examples.

Concerning the exif you posted; I become a little nervous when I

Hi Denise...

I came across a site whereby a 7D user had specified his parameters that he had used and seem to work flawlessly. I do not own said camera but maybe you can give them a go:

CFn I 1=0

CFn I 2=0

CFn II all disabled

CFn III 1=Slow

CFn III 2=0 (priority is put on focusing)

CFn III 3=1

CFn III 4=0 (unless light is bad then I switch to 1)

CFn III 6=Most of the time is single point for BIF i switch to single with expanded

CFn III 7=1

CFn III the rest set to what prefrences you want

CFn IV 1=default

CFn IV 2=default

the rest set to default

Then there is this linkthat discusses AI Servo and how to make the most of it for birds in flight. Actually I think I got this lnk from a member of this forum.

Good luck and happy *hunting*
    Canon 450D Gripped, Canon 24-105 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM II, Sigma 10-20 EX f/4-5.6, Canon S95

“There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.” -Ansel Adams

elmo....thanks for posting this link. I

When I use the AF-On back button for focusing and tracking I can effectively go from AI servo mode to One Shot by lettting go of the AF-On back button when focus is locked, and then just compose and press the shutter button for capture only, this affectively behaves as ONE SHOT since tracking has been suspended when you take your thumb off of the AF-On back button.

Are you using the AF-On for tracking? Because another advantage is that it is much easier to track by fully pressing the AF-ON button, then it is to track with a half-press shutter button.

Rich

Which setting would allow you to do this on the 5D II. I have tried it and in AI servo mode if you release the AF-ON and recompose and once you touch the shutter button it takes over and AF hunts the new target, even if your very quick.

Which it seems like some of the functions offered in the 7D and 5D aren't the same in the 1D Mark IV. For instance the AF stop button on the 300mm we both have, can be programed in the 1D IV to go to spot focus which shrinks the focus point using the AF stop button on the camera. That same button can be programed to switch from AI to One Shot mode. However on the 7D you can do spot focus but its a setting you have to change in CFn III 6, I guess I need to try this and see how it actualy works, if you can change from spot to full point easily. But still, that gives the 7D the option to do both of those functions. But with the 1D IV you could only choose one, unless there is a setting in the 1D IV I haven't found yet that would make the point to spot focus and keep it that way until changed or assign it to a diffrent button. The spot focus on the telephoto's on the 1D IV seems like an almost have to have button, it seems to me that the AF area is much larger on the 1D IV single point than it is on the 5D and 7D. I have been using it alotto focus on bird in the bush.

Rick

Hey Rick,

In order to get the benefit of the AF-on button you are correct in that you have to shut off the AF feature that is linked to the shutter button.

I don't have a 5D, but I can explain how it is done on the 7D and the MK IV.

On the 7D; go into the Custom Function Menu:

C.Fn IV: Operation/Others

press set, now you're in C.Fn IV: 1

then press set, the first icon is the shutter button half-press, now press set again, then turn the control dial and deselect AF, and select metering start which is the middle choice for Shutter butt. half-press.

You now must use the AF-ON button for focusing and just prior to pressing the shutter button, you will get your correct meter reading.

The AF-ON Custom Control Menu Button should be set to the first choice (AF) which is Metering and AF start

On the MKIV: It's C.Fn IV-1-2

OR

C: Fn IV Operation/ Others (Press set)

You will see,

C: Fn IV Operation Others

Shutter button/ AF-On Button

you will see choices 0-5, press set again

use the control dial and select choice

2: Metering start/ Meter + AF start

I hope that helps,

Rich

<div>

4) I would turn Focus Search to OFF.
    <div></div>
    </div>

<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Hello.

I have a question about this particular thing.

Why?

I mean, why is it good for, or why is it bad for some other things

I own 50d with 70-200 f4 and sometimes i have problems with AI SERVO tracking the subject in the move.

Thanks, Anri

Wow! This thread has taken on a life of its own! I want to thank EVERYONE for contributing and sharing their knowledge and shooting techniques!!

I have lots to read here &amp; learn from you!! You guys are awesome!

Denise

Hi Anri,

Here is an example. If you are using a supertelephoto lens, then your lens can become very far out of focus, by trying to focus search on something that it does not see. If this happens then your lens may not recover in time, to get the shot.

There is a custom setting known as Lens drive when AF is impossible, this custom function may be found in C.Fn III-4 on the 7D. I'm not sure where it is on the 50d.

Lets say that you have "focus search on", and you are tracking a bird in flight with a blue sky and then you temporarily lose the bird in the frame, now the lens has nothing to focus on, therefore it will continue to search for something to focus on, and in doing so it may become further and further out of the focusing range that you were working in, especially with a long telephoto lens. Now, if you re-acquire your focusing target (lets say the bird for instance) the lens will now have to focus search a second time to re-lock on the target. So, it can take a while to focus search (looking for the subject) out of the target range initially, and then focus search again to reacquire the target.

Now, lets say that you have "focus search off" and you temporarily lose the bird in your frame, now the lens will not get way out of focusing range while trying to focus search on what it doesn't see (because focus search is off), so now when you re-acquire the bird in the frame, the lens shouldn't be that far out of focus, and therefore it should re-focus on the target faster, because it wasn't hunting and it didn't drift that far of the subject distance range. So, in theory it will re-acquire the target faster.

The other way the photographer can re-acquire the subject faster with "focus search turned off " (thereby limiting the out of focus range) is by using the manual focus ring to re-establish the subject, without the lens having to focus search and move all of that glass backwards and then forwards with the AF motor, which is not as fast as the manual focus ring.

In sports, we can also use the metal prefocus-ring on the super-telephoto lenses, to quickly reacquire our target distance, without focus search doing it's own thing.

Rich

Very useful information here, thanks Rich and elmo!