Thread: New Business Ideas...

New Business Ideas...

So folks... I'm moving to a new city and interested in announcing myself to the world. I'm wondering if anyone has a good formula for marketing, prices, sneaky ideas, etc... I'm not looking to compete with people outside my local area, so don't worry! No online stuff. Just looking to get out and about town, meet people and talk with business. So far, my ideas are to talk to florists and chapels for weddings, Jewish temples for Bar Mitzvahs, clothing stores for modeling (online/catalog, whatever) and attend some sporting events for sports photos. Ideally, I would like to stick to just shooting weddings, portraiture, and sporting events. However, I am okay to also do other events (Bar Mitzvahs, birthdays, corporate events etc...) as well as business headshots, modeling, family photos, babies etc... I won't have a studio, so it would all be on-location stuff.

What I have is: Canon 7D, EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L II USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Zeiss 85mm f/1.4, Tamron 60mm f/2 Macro, EF 1.4x II converter, and a 430EXII Speedlite. What I'm planning on doing is getting a new full-frame camera when the next one comes out, to have in addition to my 7D. Also, getting a 580EXII might be nice. Otherwise, I think I'm set (though down the road I'd love to sell my 50 1.4 and get the 50 1.2 L) but I think gear-wise I'm pretty okay besides having a FF camera. I'm interested to know if anyone has any other lighting or other sneaky recommendations for me.

Aside from gear, I'm more interested to know if people have ideas in where to market, nice little specials I could offer, just any tips and tricks. I'm fairly adept at photography (though always learning) and have decent equipment, but my business-sense is a bit lacking and I'm looking to improve it a bit. I need to make at least $1,000 per month from the photography (as I won't have another job) and I'm wondering if anyone has a nice formula or tips that could help me with that. Any information would be greatly appreciated, thanks!!

- Jordan

www.freshphotography.us

www.freshphotoblog.com

Re: New Business Ideas...

Get some business cards--good business cards-- and hand them out to everyone you meet.

Re: New Business Ideas...

I give away at least 3 business cards per client with personal handwritten discounts on the back. It's like giving away money that they can only spend with you. And if they were your clients and they know the quality of work you do, they've usually been thrilled with it and it helps to spread the word faster. Of course the discounts were calculated in when I decided on the price...but Shhhhh!!! []