Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I hate to do it...but I have to SELL

I hate to do it...but I have to SELL

...a few things

The time has come....

I have been very,very fortunate to be able to do photography on the side, and have a full time job(UPS), too. My wife has been very supportive of my hobby, and even went so far as to allow me get a 1D Mark IV when I turned 40 last January(2010). I typically do about 2-3 paid jobs a month on the photography side ranging from children to family portraits and engagement photos. I have shot a couple of weddings, but tend to shy away from them because my son, Mason, who is turning 4 this late July, is at that age where he and I are really getting to do more together...and my wife works every other weekend as a labor and delivery nurse at a hospital in Santa Cruz, so I have chosen to not shoot them.

SOOO...in 7 months, my wife is due again...with our second...and third child!!! Yes, that's right...twins!!

So life is going to drastically change on my part in the near future!! 'Nuff said

I have been wanting to reduce my gear to a comfortable minimum, while not leaving myself short, so here are my thoughts on what I am selling, and why.

My side job shoots will probably be few and far between for at least the next 2 yrs(my choice), as I support my expanding family!! My goal, nevertheless, is to have a fully functional photography business up and running when I retire(????....read twins) in 13 yrs from UPS. We'll see(read...college for 3!!)!!

Here is what I currently have:

5D Mark ll (with Zeikos battery grip)

1D Mark IV

Nikon 14-24G 2.8 AF-s, with 16-9 adapter

Tokina 16-28 2.8 (IF) FX(just got)

Canon 24-70L(date code UX)

Canon 50 1.2L(and a sharp copy, too!)

Canon 70-200 2.8IS ll

2 580EX ll's, 2 shoot through umbrellas, 2 Lastolite EZ box's(24x24), STe-2, small and large reflectors

I will be selling:

5D Mark ll with grip...(I know, I know...but I love the 1DIV, and I rarely use the 5Dll anymore)...shutter count at just over 22000

Nikon 14-24G 2.8 AF-s(with or without adapter)...great lens, with great corners, even on FF and at f2.8(replaced by the Tokina)

Canon 24-70L...I use it less, as I use my 70-200 more, way more!!

I will be posting pics of these items by the end of this week, along with pricing.

I want to give TDP community first grabs of these items, then it will be on to Ebay. If you are interested, please email me at greggf@greggfotography.com.

Re: I hate to do it...but I have to SELL

Gregg,

Congrats about the twins. That is really great.

Brant

Thank you Kayaker. It

Whoa, I wanted to say "sorry that you have to sell", but then I came to the reason

Congrats on the new family addition!!!

I can just see your kids getting old enough real quick to the point where THEY will start asking for cameras and lenses for the holidays []

Thank you everybody for the kind comments. It is going to be a roller coaster...for sure. Of course, I can

Hi Gregg,

Congratulations! Twins...just, wow. One at a time is quite enough fun, I think. [] You're in for a wonderful adventure!!

--John

Thanks Neuro. Yup, it should be ...hold on...will be a blast!! Now if I could just get my wife to feel better, we could all be happy. She

Congratulations on the news of the twins, wow.

But to lenses, that Tokina must be pretty special if you are considering selling your Nikon, because your HDR shots with that were very, very good.

Steve
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Hi Steve.

Yes it is a tough decision, but there is a review of the Tokina on Ken Rockwells site..."www.kenrockwell.com/.../16-28mm.htm", that pushed me to it. My reasoning is this...with keeping the 1D4 with 1.3x, I need something that is semi wide, with a bit of length, too, that is fast! I have had the 16-35ll, and while very sharp in the center, the corners were sludge. In came the Nikon. But it