Thread: Pocketwizard system for Canon DSLR

Pocketwizard system for Canon DSLR

I have a Canon EOS 7 D and 4 Speedlite 580 EXII plus softboxes and tripods etc.. I intend to set up a little studio.

I was told, that the Caanon-ST-E2-Transmitter on infrared light basis has problems when shooting outdoors. The better solution is the pocket wizard system, also indoors for instance if you position the flash behind an obstacle.

Now I want to buy the pocketwizard system in order to trigger the 4 speedlites, one, two three or all four togehter. I should be very pleased to receive the help or the advice from the community which parts (please give me the exact Type) I have to purchase.

The pocketwizard system is available in Germany (where I live) at Amazon. But unfortunately there no is advice or explanation of the function of the different parts (transmitter, transreceiver)

Thank you very much for your help and asistance.

best regards

Roland

Re: Pocketwizard system for Canon DSLR

Have you tried looking at the ]Pocketwizard website?

Transmitter = transmits only. Transceiver = transmitter + receiver. So, you can use a transmitter on your camera, or a transceiver. You need one transceiver for each flash you want to control.

Welcome back Neuro!

Roland. I take most things like this with a grain of salt, but just in case you are not aware that this is out there (legit or not):

www.canonrumors.com/.../580ex-ii-faulty-by-design

Others here may have first hand experience with this. I own a 580 EXII, but have only owned it for 2 months and only use it occasionally (without any problems).

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

Transmitter = transmits only. Transceiver = transmitter + receiver. So, you can use a transmitter on your camera, or a transceiver. You need one transceiver for each flash you want to control.

I have been wanting to get a set myself. It gets thick reading all the reviews and data, its so much easier if someone could just say here go buy this model number....[:P]

And...Welcome Back Neuro........

Im using the Pocket wizards Flex system. TT1 Mini on the camera body and TT5 on the flash heads. I have two TT5s with two 580exIIs and also have the PW plus II's for studio strobes although I am planning on replacing them with the TT5s as well, they just came out with a controller that will work with the white lighining strobes I use so I can zone everything out. Most of the time in a studio situation Im not using the 580exIIs but will occasionally use one to illuminate gobos on the back drop.

I havent had any issues at all with the flash heads and the Flex system. Sounds like a crock IMO.

Roland,

I have 3 flashes and 4 pocket wizard Flex TT5s. I use them for shooting humming birds and after a couple of months of practice I I think I have a pretty good handle on them. Others have already answered the reciever, transmitter, transceiever question so I will spare you a repeat of that. so here are some comments/answers i have for you:

1. Pocket wizards very good but expensive. If you shoot manual only, there are cheaper options. If you prefer TTL, then Pocket Wizard is a good option, but there are others out there that will work with ETTL metering---I just don't remember which ones. Perhaps someone else can answer this.

2. One of the tricks with pocket wizards is to make sure all PWsare turned on first and before you turn on your camera or flashes. If you don't do this, you will drive your self crazy trouble shooting.

3. As far as all of the problems with PWs and Canon flashes---I haven't had any of them, but I do work in fairly close proximity to my flashes. I have heard that the RF sock does solve a lot of problems----if you are having RF interference problems, usually associated with distance form the camera to the PW, then try the RF socks for the canon flashes.

4. Make sure all batteries (PWs and Flashes)are fully charged---partially charged batteries will create problems.

5. If you use TTL, make sure your PW'shave the most current firmware updates and make sure you program them correctly (this is all spelled out in the PW user manual.)

6. Allowing the camera's or flashes to power down can create misfires, but this is usually fixed with a couple of test shots or waking up the flashes.

7. In general, I am very happy with my PWs and plan to buy a couple more, but you do have to practice with them and learn thier personality---once you do this, you have a very powerful photographic tool.

hope this helps,

Bob
    Bob

Yes in the meanwhile I did look at the PW website and the amazon website, which is very well explanatory.

I thank all who answered my question.

Roland

Just to chime in, I have one Mini, five Flex, two ZoneControllers, four cameras, and four flashes. I
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.