Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suggestions for a wide zoom Wedding/Event lens?

Re: Suggestions for a wide zoom Wedding/Event lens?

Agreed. The 24-70mm is a great focal length on FF but no so much on a 1.6x crop body. Same goes for the 16-35mm.

The 10-22mm is a far better option for an ultrawide lens on a crop body but as John mentioned it won
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

I

I would vote for the 24-70mm f/2.8L as it

As rule if thumb I advise against buying EFs glass for the simple fact that they can only be used on 1.6 crop APS-C bodies. If you use more than one body and the other is an APS-H 1.3 crop sports body or a FF the EFs glass is useless. It can be mounted but you wont like the results if you try to click the shutter and now find yourself in need of a new mirror box. EFs glass also deosnt have as wide a FOV as the EF glass so the vignetting non apparent on and EF mount on crop body is back to being a problem. I will agree that the EFs 17-55 is an awsome piece of glass, probably the best EFs mount made, it is limted to use on the crop body only. IMO some folks get carried away on the wide end glass. saying its never wide enough. When I find I can use a 16-35 on a crop body and stand 1 ft back from a 24x36 painting in an art gallery and fit the whole thing in the frame Im thinking that is more than wide enough. Same goes if I can stand 10 ft back and get a large wedding party framed with a 35 1.4L that is wide enough. I remember trying to do head and shoulder portraits with a 35L on a MKIV. To get it framed correctly I had to totally redo the strobes as I had to get so close that my shadow was cast on the subject. They could literally reach their hand up and touch me. Too close for me, makes me feel like a Dr with and eye exam lighted magnifier. Personally for my shooting style I seldom go anywhere near the wide end unless its either landscapes or extremely tight quarters.