Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for a wide zoom Wedding/Event lens?

Suggestions for a wide zoom Wedding/Event lens?

Hello photo peeps,

<meta charset="utf-8" />
    I'm expanding into shooting more events and now some weddings and I want a wide zoom that will cover around the 17-40 range that can handle low light like a champ. It's mostly for groups but if it could pop out some nice portraits as well that would be a plus. I'm looking to spend 900-2000 if the higher price can be justified.

Thanks for any and all thoughts!!!

Mike

Canon 40D, 50mm f/1.4, 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS, Sigma 1.4 EX, 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS, 430 EX II

<meta charset="utf-8" />

Re: Suggestions for a wide zoom Wedding/Event lens?

Mike

Welcome to the forum. I would recommend the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM.

Probably the best all around lens for a crop body

Mark
    Mark

I second the recommendation for the 17-55mm - IMO, it's the best general purpose zoom for a 1.6x body.

I

+ 3 for the 17-55. It
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Wow, thanks everyone, I never would have expected such a conscious opinion. I'm waiting on the next big step up in 5Ds to come around but I do plan on upgrading to a full frame within a year or two. Would the 17-55 still be a worthy investment? Can I even use it on a full frame?

Quote Originally Posted by Stad Creative

Would the 17-55 still be a worthy investment? Can I even use it on a full frame?
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

You can not use it on FF but I would keep the 40D and 17-55 as backup to the 5DMK?.

Mark
    Mark

You'll miss a lot of shots without a quality lens in that focal range until you go FF. You could always sell it down the line - high end lenses like the 17-55 hold their value pretty well (especially if you buy during a rebate and sell when there's not a rebate available).

But Mark's suggestion is the best one - if you're doing a shoot for pay, you really should have a backup camera!

Yes, I will for sure be holding onto the 40D as a backup and I do like the concept of the 17-55 holding some resale value. You have all helped me a lot, especially since I wasn

Both are great lenses, but IMO best suited to a FF camera. 24mm is technically not even wide angle on a 1.6x body, limiting the utility of a 24-xx L lens as a general purpose zoom on crop. Similarly, 35mm on crop is