Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a good Messenger Bag when I have my 70-200 f2.8 mounted

Looking for a good Messenger Bag when I have my 70-200 f2.8 mounted

I have a 60D with a battery grip and when I have my 70-200mm lens mounted I would like to have a it easily accessible from a messenger bag so I don't have to unzip or pull open a flap.

Any suggestions? I would also like to be able to safely carry a spare lens (17-55mm) in a small pouch and have it in the same messenger bag.

I found lots doing a Google search - but I'm interested in real life opinions.

Thanks

-Robert

Re: Looking for a good Messenger Bag when I have my 70-200 f2.8 mounted

I

Check out the ThinkTank Retrospective 20, it will holda pro body, 70-200mm f/2.8 with hood reversed, a flash and another lens.

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/retrospective-20-black-shoulder-bag.aspx

I don't own this bag, but I have many think tank products and they are all very well made, same for Tenba.

Also check outthe Tenba Large:

http://www.tenba.com/products/Messenger-Large-Photo-Laptop-Bag.aspx#specifications

I don't own the million dollar crumpler but I have heard very good things about it as well.

Rich

I have the Lowepro Classified 200 and the smaller 160, it just fits a DSLR with a battery grip and 70-200 attached. Both are very good bags, but they both get heavy, specially with the load that you are considering. In actual shooting conditions, I find they do get a little uncomfortable and I usually end up having to put them down and hopefully have someone else watch them.

I have tried on the ThinkTank versions and they are very good, but they have the same footprint and weight as the Classifieds.

My best bag is the Tamrac 5788 Evolution backpack. This carries all lenses you specified, plus another one, plus a flash. It has room for filters, cleaning supplies and food or a jacket up top. But, the very best thing about this bag is you don
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

+ 1 on Sean
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

I just looked on the crumpler website and I see they
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Hi Sean . I have had several Lowepro sling type bags.. but have just found that they are too cumbersome to reach and grab when I am out and about. I have a Compupack (lowepro) now so when I travel I can take my lap top and my camera - but definately not good for walking the streets to take pictures. I

Hey Richard - I think these Thinktank retropective series bags may just be the ticket. They look great.

Thanks,

-Robert

@Steve: How easy is it to get to the camera when mounted on your back? Can you swing it around and pull out the camera? It's a very nice looking backpack - but accesibilty is what I am looking for with a messenger bag.

Thanks,

Robert

The local store sells Tamrac and I have two versions. One of them is this one:

[View:http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/488194-REG/Tamrac_576801_5768_Velocity_8x_Sling.html]

It works with the hood reversed, but I really want somthing that I could carry with the hood on. Its a pain walking around, taking the camera out, put the hood on and then have to take it off to put it back up.

This bag will do what you are saying. If you zip it, or clip it closed is up to you. Gravity holds the camera in, unless you are moving around alot and then you can just clip the sides shut. I zip mine just to keep dust out.