Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just for fun; Lets spend 5K

Just for fun; Lets spend 5K

Well, taxes paid, and I have been given the go ahead to spend 5k (I love my wife)--It
    Bob

Re: Just for fun; Lets spend 5K

Big glass requires big bucks in one lump and that

Quote Originally Posted by Paul McSweeney

Big glass requires big bucks in one lump and that's what you have now, so it seems now is the opportunity for that big wildlife lens. And they've just released those new ones so you know you're getting latest tech.

Wish I had that money! Lucky b*gger.

Paul
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Yeah, That is kind of the direction I am going, but I have to wait a few more months for that---and ya know, that $ is just burning a hole in my pocket---Can he last?
    Bob

Go out with your 100-400 and find stuff where 400 is too short. That should whet your appetite enough to wait :-)

Bob, you know what I am going to do if I were you, just go for the big lens, that's all you need. in case you get tired of it later, sell it and buy whatever like the 70-200,or 85mm1.2. the 1D IV probably only worth $2000 by the time[]. go for it, you'v got 10-400mm all covered. sell your new 100mm macro if you have to and bring the 500mm home, this baby has been waiting for you for long time! if you need somebody to put a gun on your head, i'm doing it!

Bob

Bryan had his 500mm listed used for sale for (I think) $5295 not long ago. If it is gone, wait two months until the new 500mm comes out I may know where a really good copy will be for sale. I am going to buy one of the new big lens first before I let mine go, but once it proves out I will be selling mine. $5K might be a fair number for a private sell.

The 1D IV is an awesome camera and if a guy has the extra bucks to waste on his Harley its a fun thing to have, but with the big lens the camera is an accessory to the big lens. There is more to be had out of the 500mm.

Rick

(ps: don't take JJ's advice, no way part with that new 100mm Macro IS)[:P]

Edit: found the link, Bryan's is sold.

Bob

One other thing, my personal experience. Once I bought my 500mm, and I had my 100mm. My 100-400mm L never went on my camera again.

My brother has it now, and ....I can't imagine any reason I would want to use it again....maybe sell it to get enough for a new 500???

Just a thought.

Bob,

I would take it a step at a time. Today I would buy the Gitzo 2531 tripod as the rebate is almost gone, and at 439 bucks is a killer tripod.

I would wait for the 5D MKIII, which is just around the corner for your full frame fantasy. It will surely be on the summer rebates when you want to add the 70-200 f2.8 II

I would also add at least one PCB Alien Bees 800 to your stable, one hell of a monolight. The best would be a single einstein at 5 bills.

Lastly, I would add remote triggers, and an iPad with remote control!

With those dollars, you definitely have options!

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk
    $5K might be a fair number for a private sell.

Man, that's a sweet price, if I haven't got one, I'll be the first in line. I wish you are selling your 1D IV too.[]

Get the big glass your 7D is good enough for now. The 500mm f/4 IS or the 600mm f/4 IS for a little more. If you want to save some money get the 600mm f/4 non-IS version for about $3500-$4000.

John.