Bob.....happy 50th b-day!

I

Re: Just for fun; Lets spend 5K

Happy birthday Bob, well if you don
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Williams

Well, taxes paid, and I have been given the go ahead to spend 5k (I love my wife)--It's my 50TH Bday-----wow, decisions, decisions. So what to do?

1. Buy the 1dMk IV.---I really want this camera and have ever since it came out.

2. Save the money for the big glass---Also on my "want really bad" list.

3. Buy two or three pieces of really nice glass---Specifically: The 70-200 2.8 L IS and the 85L/50L/35L . (Just one of the last 3)

My current inventory:

7D

100L macro

100-400L

24-105L

10-22 EFS ( I know, the 10-22 won't work on the 1DMKIV--But I plan to keep the 7D)

Good tripod, flashes, Pocket wizards, filters, batteries etc.

What I really like to shoot:

Wildlife

Scenics (both wide and tight)

Hi Bob,

Happy 50th!

The MKIV is great, but then you will lose focal length. I wouldn't waste the money on a lot of accessories, because you could always sneak and scrounge for those later.

I vote for #2) Save the money for the big glass.

I would save for a 500mm or 600mm, and a 1.4X extender if you don't have one yet.

Also don't forget to water the money tree, and get your Wife something nice too!

Rich

It's my 50TH Bday-----wow

Wow, congratulations Bob! [] Enjoy your birthday!

What I really like to shoot:

Wildlife

Scenics (both wide and tight)

HDR stuff

Still interested in people stuff, just not there yet

Anyway, have fun, play with this idea for a little while and let me know what you would do?

1) I wouldn't buy the 1D4 if I were in your shoes.

2) Big glass is very nice. However for wildlife you might find a zoom handy/interesting. What about that new 200-400 f4 entender? It could be a nice replacement for your 100-400. Personally, I would be interested to see how it performs if the 100-400 was one of my favorite lenses.

3) A nice low-light lens is also a good improvement to your set. If you're serious about looking into people photography you might consider buying a "cheap" 85mm 1.8 or 50mm 1.4 and try it out before you go for the big guns.

Good luck and enjoy your birthday[Y]

Bob,

Happy 50th!! Remember, toys, especially photography toys, keep you young []

As always, there are lots of good options and great stuff to buy. That is what makes this fun. What to do? To me, when are you going to have$5k+ to spend on gear at one time again? If you can pull this off on a routine basis, I am jealous, and you have more options. But if this only happens every once in a long while, I would want to take advantage and go for the big ticket item that happens to be on your "want really bad" list. Sounds like that is a Big White Lens. It will be easier to add the "smaller" stuff later.

At least, that is my thought.

Again, happy birthday,

Brant

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Lane

Also don't forget to water the money tree, and get your Wife something nice too!

Rich

<div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Verywise advice Rich, nothing beats spreading some good will at the right time.

Steve
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

I'd put in a vote for a 300 f/2.8, with a 1.4x and 2x TC handy in your pocket. It's an awesome wildlife lens, and only starts to fall a bit short when you're birding. But still, it does a decent job:

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/700x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/9/8270.IMG_5F00_4720.JPG[/img]

Go for the glass, the 7D will do for now and if you really want a MKIV just wait a bit when the price comes down. I own the MKIV and its a very nice body.

The glass retains its used value very well. You can pick up a minty one used for about a 10-15% discount over new and the real beauty is if you retain its condtion it will still be worth what you paid for it, sometimes more later down the road. There is the price drops when newer versions are released so I wouldnt go buying one of the great whites where new releases have been announced. Just wait until they are out and the last versions used price plummets where you can get a good deal, then you are set for probably a good tens years without having to worry about the used value.

Now question of the day is what do you intend to shoot with the great white? Too long can be worse than not enough. All of the superteles work nicly with teleconverters as this is what the converters were engineered for. I bought a 600 f4 and sold it because I cant justify keeping every single focal length at the cost of these puppies and found it to bee too long to shoot field sports and also not fast enough for indoor sports. I have to great whites, a 400 2.8 and a 200 f2 along with a 1.4x and 2x TC. With the 1.4 thats effectively makes the 400 a 560 f4 and with a 2x an 800 5.6. I have even stacked the two and got 1120 f8 although the camera only registered the 2x at 5.6. You can do the same with the 200 or 300 etc. The only folks I know who have the 500 and up pretty use them for exclusivley birding/wildlife. The 400 actually costs more than the 500 and a little less than the 600 and is also the largest lens with a 2.8 aperture.

Here is a moon shot done with the 400 2.8 and the two TCs stacked

[View:http://www.rnmphotography.com/Nature/Night-Sky/1D40637/1017486286_HV8t6-XL.jpg]

WOW, What a great response this post got---This is always fun, I remember John
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72
    and go for the big ticket item that happens to be on your "want really bad" list.

For me that's the 800mm f/5.6 IS L[] But time will tell if that will ever come true. More likely the 600mm f/4 IS Lor NON-IS.

John.