Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Used 7D Camera Price Devaluation?

Used 7D Camera Price Devaluation?

I may be selling my Canon 7D system because it is <span style="line-height: 115%; font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; font-size: 10pt; mso-fareast-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA;"]too heavy for use as a Back Country camera.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] It takes beautiful photos and I love it, but the camera and case weight of +8# is too much when added to a 50# hiking backpack.

<span style="line-height: 115%; font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; font-size: 10pt; mso-fareast-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA;"]<span style="line-height: 115%; font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; font-size: 10pt; mso-fareast-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA;"]However, If I sell, Idon't know where to start for pricing. What is a typical percentage devaluation (from new) of a DSLR body/lens system for items about 6 months old? I have a Canon 7D body, Canon24-70mm f2.8 L USM lens, 2 batteries, charger, <span style="font-size: 10pt;"]8Gb 60 Mb/s UDMA CF, B&amp;W UV haze filter, and all the other stuff that came with the camera/lens. This was not a kit. All but the filter are Canon parts. All parts are like-new condition except the manual has a few turned-down pages.

<span style="line-height: 115%; font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; font-size: 10pt; mso-fareast-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA;"]<span style="font-size: 10pt;"]I am not fishing for a buyer, <span style="line-height: 115%; font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; font-size: 10pt; mso-fareast-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA;"]<span style="font-size: 10pt;"]I just have no idea where to start if I do decide to sell. I have checked eBay and there are notvery many 7Ds out there, nor are there any 24-70 f2.8 Llenses. If the devaluation is too much I may have to "eat" the cost on this camera and keep it while trying to figure out how to buy a lighter, and less versatile, camera.

Re: Camera Price Devaluation

Canon sells a refurbished for $1,359. Personally I wouldn

Man, I hate to see a camera like that go. If at all possible, I would try to hang onto your 7D and kit and buy something else. If it

You have a great camera with the 7D, I would not give that up. I would consider selling the 24-70, while it is a fantastic lens, it is not the lens most people grab when going hiking.

Why don
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

I

Senior Member nvitalephotography's Avatar

I can tell you what I have seen them go for on ebay. Keep in mind these numbers are from about 2 months ago when I was looking for a new lens, so things may have changed a little bit.

I saw the 24-70 f2.8 go for about $1000 regularly.

B&amp;W UV filters around $40-50.

I havent really looked at 7D

Someone is selling a 7D on my local craigslist for $1300. To tell you the truth, I almost called him/her to check it out (I
    My Flickr page
    Canon Eos 1DIII, Canon Eos 20D, Canon Eos T3i, Canon Eos M, Canon EF 400mm f5.6L, Canon EF 300mm f4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f2.8L IS II, Canon EF 180mm f3.5L macro, EF Canon 24-70mm f2.8L, Canon EFs 60mm f2.8, Canon EF 50mm f1.4, Canon EF 50mm f2.5 compact macro, Canon EF 40mm f2.8, Canon EF-M 22mm f2, Canon 430EX II

the earthquake may cause the shortage of supply, the news said Toyota in Japan has to stop producing cars, not sure Canon will have to stop so you may want to wait a bit if you really want to sell.

I concur with the others before me, if at all possible I would keep the 7D and either add a P/S of maybe a reble like the T1i with the kit lens. It is light and Adorama has a refurb for $550 here:

[url="http://www.adorama.com/ICADRT1IKR.html]http://www.adorama.com/ICADRT1IKR.html[/url]

I agree with JJ, you may see a shortage of bodies. I do not know what supply chain is, but I have noticed the last few weeks that the 1D IV are "<span class="red"]Temporarily out of stock" at a lot of reputable dealers. If nothing else, your 7D may hold more value if the supply is short for a while.

<span class="red"]Still, I would keep the 7D. Just my $.02

<span class="red"]Chris

Thanks for all the good comments. I have recently looked fairly seriously at the G12 as a backpacking camera. I just don