Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Used 7D Camera Price Devaluation?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Used 7D Camera Price Devaluation?

I may be selling my Canon 7D system because it is <span style="line-height: 115%; font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; font-size: 10pt; mso-fareast-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA;"]too heavy for use as a Back Country camera.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] It takes beautiful photos and I love it, but the camera and case weight of +8# is too much when added to a 50# hiking backpack.

<span style="line-height: 115%; font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; font-size: 10pt; mso-fareast-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA;"]<span style="line-height: 115%; font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; font-size: 10pt; mso-fareast-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA;"]However, If I sell, Idon't know where to start for pricing. What is a typical percentage devaluation (from new) of a DSLR body/lens system for items about 6 months old? I have a Canon 7D body, Canon24-70mm f2.8 L USM lens, 2 batteries, charger, <span style="font-size: 10pt;"]8Gb 60 Mb/s UDMA CF, B&amp;W UV haze filter, and all the other stuff that came with the camera/lens. This was not a kit. All but the filter are Canon parts. All parts are like-new condition except the manual has a few turned-down pages.

<span style="line-height: 115%; font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; font-size: 10pt; mso-fareast-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA;"]<span style="font-size: 10pt;"]I am not fishing for a buyer, <span style="line-height: 115%; font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; font-size: 10pt; mso-fareast-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA;"]<span style="font-size: 10pt;"]I just have no idea where to start if I do decide to sell. I have checked eBay and there are notvery many 7Ds out there, nor are there any 24-70 f2.8 Llenses. If the devaluation is too much I may have to "eat" the cost on this camera and keep it while trying to figure out how to buy a lighter, and less versatile, camera.

Re: Camera Price Devaluation

Canon sells a refurbished for $1,359. Personally I wouldn

Man, I hate to see a camera like that go. If at all possible, I would try to hang onto your 7D and kit and buy something else. If it

You have a great camera with the 7D, I would not give that up. I would consider selling the 24-70, while it is a fantastic lens, it is not the lens most people grab when going hiking.

Why don
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

I

Senior Member nvitalephotography's Avatar

I can tell you what I have seen them go for on ebay. Keep in mind these numbers are from about 2 months ago when I was looking for a new lens, so things may have changed a little bit.

I saw the 24-70 f2.8 go for about $1000 regularly.

B&amp;W UV filters around $40-50.

I havent really looked at 7D

I concur with the others before me, if at all possible I would keep the 7D and either add a P/S of maybe a reble like the T1i with the kit lens. It is light and Adorama has a refurb for $550 here:

[url="http://www.adorama.com/ICADRT1IKR.html]http://www.adorama.com/ICADRT1IKR.html[/url]

I agree with JJ, you may see a shortage of bodies. I do not know what supply chain is, but I have noticed the last few weeks that the 1D IV are "<span class="red"]Temporarily out of stock" at a lot of reputable dealers. If nothing else, your 7D may hold more value if the supply is short for a while.

<span class="red"]Still, I would keep the 7D. Just my $.02

<span class="red"]Chris

Thanks for all the good comments. I have recently looked fairly seriously at the G12 as a backpacking camera. I just don

My first post! I

I would not sell your 7D, you are not losing much weight. Only 10 onces if you go to a Rebel. A lighter pack, fewer lenses, lighter lenses or lighter tripod will make much more differance. I do not like Rebels very much and have had poor experience with them. If you go to a 60D it