Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: SOLD: CyberSync Blowout Sale!

Re: FS : CyberSync Blowout Sale!

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk
    Mark, why the switch from the 580's to the 430's?

The 430EX II's are probably the best performing (right out of the box) Speedlites when used in conjunction with the PocketWizard FlexTT5 system. I'm sure you've heard all about the RF-Noise issues with 580EX II's? This isn't to say that they don't work with thePocketWizard FlexTT5 system. They just don't work as well. I mostly use this setup for shooting weddings. I don't have time to throw on a AC5 RF Soft Shield or an AC7 RF Hard Shield when on the job. Weddings move quickly and I need to be able to react equally as fast. Most importantly though, for me, is confidence in my gear. I NEED to know that everything is going to work. I can't be wondering if my 580EX II / FlexTT5 combo is out of range. I know that there are serveral members of this forum alone that succesfully use 580EX II's with FlexTT5's but for my own mental health, I feel more comfortable using 430EX II's. If I was using my Speedlites for pretty much anything other than weddings I probably wouldn't care.

EDIT: By the way, PocketWizard FlexTT5's come with the AC5 RF Soft Shieldand for anyone interested in my 580EX II's I'll include a AC7 RF Hard Shield. They actually make a terrific umbrella holder as they position the Speedlite close to the shaft.

Mark, I know about using the Pocketwizard AC9 with the AB and WL monolights from PCB. How do you trigger your Einsteins with the PW system? Not critical, but can you use E-TTL (possible with TT5 + AC9 + AB or WL monolight)? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    Mark, I know about using the Pocketwizard AC9 with the AB and WL monolights from PCB. How do you trigger your Einsteins with the PW system? Not critical, but can you use E-TTL (possible with TT5 + AC9 + AB or WL monolight)? Thanks!

I am unaware of any monolight that has TTL capabilities. In all honesty though, in a studio situation, I prefer manual settings. Get it right once and it's always right! TTL can change from shot to shot if it gets confused. Don't get me wrong, TTL is pretty darn good and usually close enough but I like the control and repeatability of manual power settings.

Despite this thread, I still use CyberSync's to trigger my Einsteins. I use a CST on cameraand CSXCV's on the monolights. When the PowerMC2 comes out I will probably buy them and ditch the CyberSync's all together. CyberSync's have NEVER let me down so far but I found the Cyber Commander to be a little cumbersome.On the other hand, I absolutely love the AC3 ZoneController. It has three dials on it and you turn them left or right to increase or decrease the flash power. It couldn't be much easier and it all happens from your camera which is awesome. The Cyber Commander is much more complex and powerfull than the AC3 but I like the AC3 more so that's what I'll use.

EDIT: John, you could always just use your FlexTT5 with the Einsteins via the sync port. You would not have power control (dumb trigger) but thatcould hold you off until the MC2's come out. For me, I already had a CST and the CSXCV's were only $29 each so it was a no brainer. One thing I LOVE about both the CSXCV's and the up and coming MC2's is that they get their power from the light itself so that many less batteries to concern myself with :-)

Batteries aren

Sorry, Mark - you

I want to stick with a single triggering system

You can trigger either the Einstein's or the White Lightning's with just the FlexTT5. I think you know that but I just wanted to specifically clarify :-)

that had me leaning toward the WL X1600 (along with the broad power range making it suitable for indoors or out

The Einstein's have "9 f/stop Power Variability (2.5WS to 640WS)" which is more range than any other mono light I have ever heard of!

given PW's record I won't hold my breath for the 'end of March' release

I agree 100% Combining their release record with PCB's release record could be catastrophic!! It's still better than RadioPopper's record though right :-)

The fact that you won't need to use a FlexTT5 with the Einstein (unlike the WL X1600) has me considering an alternate setup - still the two Speedlites for a portable kit, but perhaps starting off the 'at home' kit with one Einstein with a PowerMC2 as a main light, supplemented by the two Speedlites for rim/background/etc., with the ability to control all three (at least over a 6-stop range) with an AC3. Thoughts?

This sounds pretty good to me. The only caveat is if you're going to be doing much white seamless work, the Speedlites will disapoint as background lights.

with the ability to control all three (at least over a 6-stop range) with an AC3.

With the AC3 you can even mix E-TTL and manual power control at the same time! I haven't done this but that may be cool for run-and-gun situations. 6 stops of range should be plenty too. My light power settingsare often only about 2 stops apart. How far away they are positioned as well as whether or not they have a modifier attached to them will either tighten or losen that gap even more. I usually set my key light to about 1/4 power (160 WS) which willtend give me about f/8 or f/11 @ ISO 200 depending on the modifier I am using as well as crazy fast recycle times. I'll build the rest of my setup around that starting point. If I'm shooting on white my background lights will be hotter. If I am shooting on black my kicker lights will be dialed down by a stop or two generally.

EDIT: Here are some great articles from Rob Galbraith regarding the AC3 and the MC2:

AC3 ZoneController

PowerMC2

Rick, you might want to check your cart. Adorama has them (at least, they had two for me this afternoon .

John

Adorama did have them, I ordered 2 flex and 1 mini. Figured I better stop procrastinating, otherwise both stores would be out and I would be waiting a few months.

I downloaded the manual, all 74 pages and was going over it and came to a compatibility chart that did not show the 7D or the 1D IV. After 20 minutes of going through all the addendum's I found where one of the firmware updates included those bodies. But it sounds like, once we get these things we will have to update them?

Any way, after reading the 200 plus page owners manual of the 1D IV several times, and looking at this pocketwizard manual, I think my hobby is reading manuals and articles about photography. It seems that takes up more time than actually taking any pictures.

Mark

I have thought about your 580ex's, but I am still on the fence about which way to go.

Rick

Thanks again for the info and informative links, Mark!

Rick - manuals? What's all this about RTFM? Mine arrive from Adorama this morning, and I was just going to stick the MiniTT1 on the camera and a FlexTT5 on the flash and fire away. Silly me... [:P]

Rick, Neuro, PW recommends that the FIRST thing you do is download the PC application and update ALL your updateable PW products (i.e. anything with a usb/mini-usb/micro-usb [not sure if any of these use micro usb connectors! ). Other than that they DO appear to be pretty much attach-n-shoot devices!

Steve

Thanks, from the reviews I had read everyone was saying they would have to be updated. Hopefully not to difficult.

Normally when I get something new, I take it out of the box throw the manual aside and take off using it. I find thats the best way to find out what I don