Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: SOLD: CyberSync Blowout Sale!

Re: FS : CyberSync Blowout Sale!

Thanks, Steve. They certainly do recommend updating first - there's a bright yellow sticker in the box I just opened that says just that... I'm downloading the PW Utility right now.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk
    I have thought about your 580ex's, but I am still on the fence about which way to go.

I am also pondering getting a 580EX II vs. a second 430EX II. Rick, if it helps in your decision, I ran across this range table in a post by Rob Galbraith:

:

The 80' range of the 580EX II is the main concern, especially since that's under 'ideal conditions' (many forum users report getting only 30-50' depending on conditions). Of course, there are many ways to extend that - the sock and hotshoe sheild that are included with the FlexTT5, the hard shield Mark linked, tweaking the positioning of the flash relative to the FlexTT5 antenna, or spearating them with an OC-E3. I suppose in a studio environment it wouldn't be a concern - at least, any studio environment I'd be likely to create at home, with limited space. But for outdoor use it could be an issue - I'd rather spend my time fiddling with the lights and modifiers and not the RF triggers.

So, for me, I'm leaning toward a second 430EX II. The other factor is that while the 580EX II is obviously more powerful than a 430EX II, for outdoor use I expect even the 580EX II will have a hard time overpowering the sun, especially through a modifier, and a second Einstein 640 is only a few bucks more than a 580EX II.

More thinking ahead...I'd certainly be interested in hearing which direction you're leaning, and why...

John

I had thought about adding two new 430ex. Then I started researching which softbox I wanted to buy, of course what I found out is that even the small boxes will loose an F stop or two with the 580 and from what I can tell is if the box gets to large then you have to go to the bigger lights. For that reason this morning I was thinking about buying another 580 II because of its additional power to pair with this:

[View:http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/13259-REG/Chimera_1740_Maxi_Softbox_White.html]

But, I am not really buying this to use in the house. So limiting range to 50' is a factor. I have some ideas I wanted to try and need several hundred feet of range. For those ideas I thought I would have to add a moonlight or strobe any way.

At first my thinking was keep it all the same since I already have 1 580ex they would be able to produce equal light. But really thinking about it what would that matter. So far I have ordered an umbrella and am going to get a soft box to start. The light from the two wouldn't be even any way with modifiers. For that matter in most situations I wouldn't want the flashes to be the same. So I guess my logic was flawed.

I was leaning toward adding another 580ex II, but after reading your post and mulling it over, I think it would be more logical to buy a 430ex. I could still use the softbox for close in work with the 580ex.

Now I am leaning towardadding the430ex II, and keeping my 1 580ex II and it could give me a little more diversity. I am asuming that using both flashes together wont confuse the PW's.

This "soft box" is very efficient. It is shallow and wiith the silver insert you don't lose much. Nice round(ish) catch lights too. I found it is most efficient with the flash zoom set to 35mm.

www.bhphotovideo.com/.../Photek_SL_4000_Umbrella_Softlighter_II.html

EDIT:

Turns out they have a newer one that is more geared for flashes.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/690335-REG/Photek_HSD_4000K_Softlighter_Hot_Shoe_Diffuser.htm l

Kieth

Thanks for the link. It looks like that would be very portable.

John

Thinking about this some more, why couldn't a person just use a off camera cable to move the 580ex II further away from the PW. Somthing like this:[View:http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...era_Shoe.html] I know it adds one other item to the equation, but wouldn't most of your RF interference be right next to the flash and positioning it even a short distance away might be enough to counter act the ineterference.

Rick

As I understand it, using the OC3 cord will not provide a lot of "help". The 580 EX II is very, very noisy! PW has identified 2-3 sources who are capable of performing an internal modification which drastically improves the range of the ControlTL devices. Rob Galbraith has an article here: Extending the range of the PocketWizard FlexTT5 and 580EXII which describes his results with the various methods.

Steve

That is good info.

2 Maximum to 580EX II (stock): 100ft (30.5m)

3 Maximum to 580EX II (RF modified): 340ft (103.6m), 3.4X

4 Maximum to 580EX II (stock) when wrapped in an AC5: 520ft (158.5m), 5.2X

5 Maximum to 580EX II (stock) inside an AC7: 540ft (164.6m), 5.4X

6 Maximum to 430EX II (stock): 650ft (198.1m), 6.5X

7 Maximum to 550EX (stock): 710ft (216.4m), 7.1X

It looks like with the AC5 wrap it can extend it out to 520

Yeah, I haven

I went ahead and took the plunge, and ordered 1 430ex II to give it a try. I will get 1 more if it works out. The miniTT1 and one of the FlexTT5

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk
    So I guess the lighting adventure begins.

Indeed it does! I ordered an AC3 Zone Controller as well.

I've decided just to add another 430EX II for the time being, then once the PowerMC2 is available, I'll pick up an Einstein 640. I'm looking at a pair of Manfrotto 1051BAC stands for the Speedlites and a Manfrotto 1005 for the monolight. Modifiers will likely include a pair of 45" umbrellas (Eclipse or similar), and from PCB a 45" octabox with grid, a high output beauty dish, and a reflector with a set of honeycomb grids. Also a Manfrotto background support system and some backdrops, and a couple of Justin clamps for some additional flexibility.