Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: SOLD: CyberSync Blowout Sale!

Re: FS : CyberSync Blowout Sale!

John

I bought the 1052BAC that Bryan recomended. I recieved it yesterday and It seems very sturdy. Why the 1051BAC, is it more compact? It costs less.

I am going to buy one more stand but wanted to see how this one works, it seems to be adequate. I will be researching which strobes and moonlights to use next, but I have some time as I need to get past the learning curve on what I have bought now.

My next step with lighting, I have been scheming a way to remove the 24ex flashes off the lens to get diffrent perspectives with my macro. I am looking for a bracket system that will hook to the camera or tripod and allow me to manipulate the flashes at diffrent angles.

As for a studio set up, the wife

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk
    Why the 1051BAC, is it more compact? It costs less.

The 1051BAC has a smaller footprint (28" diamater vs. 40" for the 1052BAC). Although there's a tradeoff in stability, my thinking is that when working in small spaces a more stable stand with a larger base doesn't help if you trip over the legs. A two light setup can mean four stands on the floor when using a backdrop (or five if you count the tripod) - with 40" footprints on all four of them, that's a lot to trip over! Also, I plan to get the Manfrotto background support kit - that actually includes a pair of stands that are non air-cushioned versions of the 1052, so if I'm shooting outdoors and need a bigger footprint for stability with the Speedlite stands, or if I need that extra 12" of height, I can 'borrow' the 1052-type stands from the background kit.

The 1005BAC has the same 40" footprint as the 1052BAC, but it's a much sturdier stand with double the support rating (and thus more suitable for a monolight and the heavier modifiers, which I'd be reluctant to put on either the 1051 or the 1052).

I have been scheming a way to remove the 24ex flashes off the lens to get diffrent perspectives with my macro. I am looking for a bracket system that will hook to the camera or tripod and allow me to manipulate the flashes at diffrent angles.

Novoflex makes very nice (albeit expensive) macro flash brackets, with either solid or flexible arms. I'm sure there are cheaper versions out there.

An option to mount to your tripod legs would be a pair of Manfrotto SuperclampswithFlex Arms, perhaps with small ballheads like the Giottos MH-1004 on the end (I use one of those little ballheads for the flash on myManfrotto 233B Flash Bracket).

As for a studio set up, the wife's already told me there will be no studio,

I've been offered the 'opportunity' to clear out part of the basement for use as a studio - you'd need to see our basement to fully appreciate the quid pro quo involved... [:#]In the meantime, I'm planning to use available space in the house, meaning a completely portable setup.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    The 1051BAC has a smaller footprint (28" diamater vs. 40" for the 1052BAC

John

A quick observation, from one day with the 1052BAC. I bought this umbrella that Bryan reviewed:

[View:http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Photogenic-Eclipse-Umbrella-Review.aspx]

My first impression was that with the umbrella fully extendedat 90 degrees full lenghtit could be a bit shakey but was adequate. The shakeness was more due to the size of foot print compared to the extension of the umbrella placing the center of gravity just off to the side of the stands foot print. I think with the flash mounted it will help counter balance it. I think if it were outside and any wind I would have to sand bag the legs. This umbrella is 60" if you have smaller umbrella you wouldn't be extended out as far. You might check that out with the 28" foot print. I think for the softbox I am buying 28" footprint would be fine since the center of gravity will be closer to the shaft.

As for studio's in the house. My wife wants me to take the sheet I used as a backdrop and put on her China Cabinet down now.

I must admit....I am astounded by the longevity of this "FS" thread. :-)

Since you bought the item within 48 minutes of posting it is amazing. The thread took a life of its own.

Maybe were still stressed we didn

I just checked

By the way Mark, the CyberCommander is a bit of a pain to set up...but once you get the hang of it, it's a great system. I've been having a blast with it. I honestly didn't know the CC had a built-in light meter--that's a really cool value-added feature.

A 580ex II test with the new Pocket Wizards:

I will add once again to this hijacked thread. Its not like Mark or Sean need this thread any more, they both got what they wanted.[:P]

In regard to using the pocket wizard with the 580ex II and RF interference. I received my new PW yesterday, so this morning I headed out to check this out.

At about 45' without using the provided sock (AC5) for protection on the 580ex II the PW's would stop receiving signal. 45' was the limit for this part of the test.

I put the AC5 sock on, it did not miss until I got out to 360', for about another 40' it would flash only randomly then after that none at all. 360' seems to be the acceptable limit in the test I did using the sock with the 580ex II.

The Pocket Wizards had an unobstructed line of site between them. They were probably 5 feet off the ground. It was a windy semi overcast day.