Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Finally did it---The 500 is on it's way

Re: Finally did it---The 500 is on it's way

Thanks Steve
    Bob

You luck out twice!! There
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

Congrats on the lens, Bob!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Williams
    Well, The cabinets are in good shape, but........She has never been to Vegas, yet she has mentioned it several times lately

Congratz Bob

It's a good thing you spent this money before a trip to Vegas....[:P]

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Williams

BTW, the bird feeders and the hummingbird feeders went out this weekend---probably won't see much for a few weeks , but I planned to be the first on the block with the feeders, so hopefully more birds will show up this year. I am really hoping to put that new 500 to work in my own backyard as well as the other places I frequent.

I'm hoping to be one of the first also to be ready and waiting for the hb's...I just don't know when that is around here though. I was late last year. This year I am hoping ot put out a whole mess of them and plant flowers that will attract them.

BTW - Next month I am planning aday trip to Baraboo, Wisconsin to the International Crane Foundation (it's about 3 hrs. from where I live)...it is the only place where the world's 15 types of cranes can be seen. I am wondering if I should rent a longer lens ...the weight of the larger ones really scares me and I will be doing quite a few hours of walking the trails.

Denise

Really..? You mean you're not getting the MKIV?

Only Kidding! Congrats on the new lens, I think you've made a wonderful choice! [Y]

I can't wait to see the new Pics! [B]

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725
    ...the weight of the larger ones really scares me and I will be doing quite a few hours of walking the trails

Denise that is a justifiable fear. Owning the 500mm I can tell you it is a job to take it out any where. I have mine in a full size back pack, carrying it anywhere for a couple hours is a job. When carrying it out of the backpack one can put it on a good monopod and shoulder it. But its still a lot of work.

Not to sound sexiest, but there are a lot of women if they asked me I would think it would be a mistake for them. I know my wife couldn't handle it. If you try just know your in for some work.

But if you ever think you want to buy one, I would suggest renting one just as you mentioned so you could give it a try to see how it is. Once you see the IQ it produces you will want it for your own.

My girlfriend can
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

That is awesome! You will really enjoy the 500! Last week I was able to use it quite a bit (along with the 400/4, 600/4, and 800/5.6) for birds in TX, and it was great. And no, I can

Congrats on your new lens! I wasn't so patiant with my 60D and overnighted it.[]

John.