Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can someone explain what a 50 or 100% crop is?

Re: Can someone explain what a 50 or 100% crop is?

I enoy reading how others have different approaches or methods of achiveing the same ends. So, I will throw my two cents worth in:

I normally use lightroom and since lightroom doesn
    Bob

I think where some people get confused about the term 50% or 100% crop is because the term is kind of misleading in the way it is often said.
    After all if it is 100% crop then did you really crop it? if you crop 100% of the picture you're left with nothing aren't you? [] Those are Rhetorical questions!
    Actually it's the difference between showing a 100% crop or cropping 100% of the image. Obviously it's not cropped 100%

As described already, by viewing the original image at 100% on your screen, setting your crop size to the desired dimensions so that when you crop the image it shows that portion at the same size you see it in the full image without having to re-sample(re-size) it when viewed at 100%. The idea is to show the cropped portion of the image without any interpolation. That is what is referred to as a 100% crop and has nothing to do with the actually percentage of the image you cropped it down to. If that were the case then if I were to crop one of my pictures (4752 x 3168) down to 800 x 640 for example, then I am only cropping about 17 to 20% from the original picture. That's the percentage of the original image size/dimensions, and then a 50% crop would be half the pixel height and width of the original. Understandably, this is why I think some people get confused about the term, and programs such as Photoshop don't make it any less confusing. Photoshop for example has the ruler guides that can be set to show inches, mm, cm, picas, pixels and percentage which is a great tool to aid when cropping photos down to certain sizes for whatever reasons. If you use Photoshop or something similar and want to show a true 100% crop use Pixels rather than Percentage on the ruler guides, Size your crop box to the desired pixel dimensions then move it over the portion you want to keep. Or use the rectangular marque tool and set the fixed size then slide it over the portion of the image you want. Either way works.

When photo editing / image processing, working on an image when viewed at 100% vs whatever size to fit your screen has advantages and will have better end results

Here are 2 examples using the PS fixed marquee tool.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/13/2046._5F00_002-copy.jpg[/img]

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/13/2402.cats-eye2.jpg[/img]

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/13/0284.Cats-eye-copy.jpg[/img]

Wow What a shot Tom. LUV It

Nicely Cropped too

Wally
    Wally Bouw Flickr Vimeo

Haha this thread is genius!! I thought I had a clear view on a 100% crop, but after reading some replies I got confused nonetheless []

The point where it goes wrong is in the name. It's not a 100% crop...(yes we call it this way)

It's actually very simply said a crop of an image that is shown full/100% scale..

Actually when you are looking at the 100% view of your image, you're not zooming in, nor are you zooming out. (to make it even more confusing)

Actually most people view their photo's zoomed out [:|] How's that might you be asking...

Say you have a full HD screen. That would mean you have 1920 horizontal pixels * 1080 vertical pixels. A total of 1920*1080=2073600 pixels = 2 Megapixel. At a 16:9 ratio.

If you were to have a camera that shoots 2MP photos at a 16:9 ratio. You could view your photos at full scale all the time, since the monitor isn't a limitation.

With modern day camera's we often have much bigger photos than the monitor can handle at once. If I have an image of 6MP: 3000*2000p. All you can see is 1920*1080p at a time. Since that's what my monitor can handle. This means that if you want to view your image at full scale, you aren't able to see it entirely. You'd miss 1080 pixels horizontally (3000-1920) and 920pixels vertically (2000-1080)

That's not what we want in general and therefor pretty much every photo viewer scales your image down to view the entire photo. So it's actually zoomed out to fit your screen [A]

Anyway, to make a "100% crop" as we use it here, is easy. The photos on the forums are limited to 800p wide. If you have photoshop, use the rectangle selection tool with a fixed size of 800p wide and use the crop tool to make your "100% crop" .

If you don't have photoshop or a program where you can select your selection wideness, there's another option. See which screen resolution you are using. In windows it's a simple right click on the background and go to options or something.

I for instance use a 1920*1080 resolution. If I need to make a 800p "100% crop" I could also " guess" how wide I need to go. 800p is approximately 1/2.5 width of the screen. (1920/800)

Crop for that part and you are very close to a "100% crop" without the need of photoshop or another difficult program. Close enough to use here for to show your "100% crop".

That's my 2 cents,

Jan

Jan

I
    Wally Bouw Flickr Vimeo

Quote Originally Posted by bouwy
    BTW... I think I know what the difference is now between a 100%, 50% or any % crop... LOL

Glad you do, because I still don't []

When we're really talking about cropping and not about our genius "100% crop" it seems logical that a 50% crop is half of the images total surface. That would mean that a 25% percent crop would be 25% of the original photo left intact(case 1). Or does it? Does it mean that 25% is cropped off/deleted(to avoid different interpretations)?(case 2)

In case 1, where a 25% crop means that you're left with 25% of the original photo, a 100% crop would be theoretical " possible". Albeit, you're not really cropping at a 100% crop, since you're saving the full image []

In case 2, a 100% crop is also impossible [8-|] since cropping means that you're adjusting the original thing by cropping stuff away and it's kind of hard to crop away 100%. It's like taking a 1m hose and telling you to cut off 100% of the hose. That's simply impossible, because you don't have to cut at all to remove 100% of it...

Either case would mean that a 100% crop isn't even possible, right...[:S] Someone please explain all this to me.

Obviously this is other cropping than the "100% crop" we use at this forums. Getting confused yet?

Holy <s>crap</s> crop, this is more confusing than I thought!

For demonstration purposes I will post a picture with everything cropped 100%

As you can see nothing is left

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk

For demonstration purposes I will post a picture with everything cropped 100%

As you can see nothing is left
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Perfectly understandable demonstration
    Bob