Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 3-19 super perigee

Re: 3-19 super perigee

Bob...ummm....WOW.

Enjoying your new lens?[Y][]

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72

Bob...ummm....WOW.

Enjoying your new lens?[img]/emoticons/emotion-21.gif[/img][img]/emoticons/emotion-2.gif[/img]
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Thanks Kayaker, I am still trying to get the hang of it, simple things like mounting it on a tripod is awkward, remembering the controls on the lens and the size and weight certainly takes some getting used to, but all-in-all, I love this lens and it is worth every ounce of sweat it takes to haul it around.

Bob
    Bob

Still not so super, but here are a few more from last night that I
    ran through Photoshop today after getting some sleep. Maybe just a
    little better, but not much. Can only do so much when conditions work
    against you.

50%crop, f/11, ISO 100, 1/100s, with Canon 50D and 100-400mm IS L lens at 400mm.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i39/Tim_Kerr/20110319SM-fullmoon-01.jpg

Same exposure slightly different processing.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i39/Tim_Kerr/20110319SM-fullmoon-02.jpg

50%crop, f/11, ISO 200, 1/200s, with Canon 50D and 100-400mm IS L lens at 400mm. Less processing

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i39/Tim_Kerr/20110319SM-fullmoon-03.jpg

In case you're wondering and haven't already noticed all these were shot using the Moony-11 Rule, aka Loony-11 rule, in full manual.

Quote Originally Posted by tkerr

Still not so super, but here are a few more from last night that I ran through Photoshop today after getting some sleep. Maybe just a little better, but not much. Can only do so much when conditions work against you.

Tkerr, Nice Job, I really like the framing and the dramatic look of the second image the best.

Bob

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Springer
    That is a spectacular shot. Artistic even. 6400mm!!! Holy cow. I am a long way from that. I was excited about the possibility of getting a 400mm f/5.6!

Well, cropped to 6400. Really only 3750mm.

Thanks for the compliment. I wouldn't say artistic (though I don't mind a bit if you do []), I just pointed at the moon and pressed the button. But air was still, which is really what is needed to get detail.

It did clear up last night, so I got to enjoy a nice view. I thought I'd try a shot without the barlow to get the whole moon- that would have been about 2000mm- but the camera won't come to focus without it. So I gave up. Should have taken a shot with just part of the full moon like Bob and some of the others. Really, I should have pulled out the AP130GT (819mm f/6.3) but I left my adapter at my dark site.

I took a few shots with the 70-200 and 2x barlow, but they aren't worth posting

<div>

Quote Originally Posted by Bill W
    Jon, I totally agree that a partial moon is far more interesting to shoot...

I didn't mean to say the partial moon is more interesting, just that you can get more detail. I love the full moon shots. This is a great thread!

</div>

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Ruyle

Well, cropped to 6400. Really only 3750mm.

Ah, so I just need the 1200mm, and then I could stack a 1.4x and a 2.0x and I almost have it! []

Don't sell yourself short, I thought the composition was very good. The way you situated the shot so that the curvature of the moon arcs across the frame is excellent, in my humble opinion.

Here is a shot that my brother took of the moon last night, but I processed it.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/24/8787.070_5F00_DxO.TIF-reduced.JPG[/img]

It only required very slight cropping. Taken with my Minolta 600mm f/6.3 at 3200 ISO wide open 250th sec (didn't have to be that fast) 2X extenderfocused in 10x liveview (love that feature!)processed in DxO and reduced in DPP. DxO's downrezing is very bad, thats why I use DPP for that.

I applied a very strong saturation too bring out the colors, so you can see thebluecolor fringealong the top of the moon.

John.

That looks as though you used a little Faux HDR tone processing. That will bring in the various colors like you see here..

I didn't use DxO's HDR feature, but mabye it's saturation process is similar. There used to be CAwere the blue color fringe is, at lower saturaton levelsit was gone.

Thanks,

John.

This is my first time shooting the moon. Took me a while to get the exposure reasonable.

60D, 70-200/2.8L II, 1/250, f/4.0, 280 mm (200mm +1.4x TC) &amp; ISO 100 handheld.