Thread: A Novice Taking Better Pictures Than Me On My Camera... Where Did I Go Wrong ??

A Novice Taking Better Pictures Than Me On My Camera... Where Did I Go Wrong ??

My wife took some friends (from Holland on a holiday) to see the Lotus Gardens not too far from my place. I did not go, so she insisted that she uses one of my cameras. I set up my old 400D with the 50mmm 1.4 lens ( AV mode - ISO400 - RAW) and told her "Just Point & Shoot" and then showed her how to convert RAW files in JPG's using DPP. Here are the results[:O]

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x600/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/7802.lily8ev.jpg[/img]

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x600/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/2630.lily7ev.jpg[/img]

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x600/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/5531.lily3ev.jpg[/img]

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x600/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/7571.lil1ev.jpg[/img]

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x600/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/4774.lily2ev.jpg[/img]

Now she wants to use my 5D MKII & EF24-70 to improve her work...LOL [:$]

Wally [:'(]
    Wally Bouw Flickr Vimeo

Re: A Novice Taking Better Pictures Than Me On My Camera... Where Did I Go Wrong ??

Happens to me all the time

I especially like the last two.

Re: A Novice Taking Better Pictures Than Me On My Camera... Where Did I Go Wrong ??

Nice framing and good light. She did take some good pictures and I agree with Jon, I like the last two the best.

It is alsoamazing how "smart" the cameras are. Actually, mine is still smarter than I am all too often.[:|]

My wife's tactic is to simply claim that she took any picture that she likes....... Sometimes I point out that she couldn't have, because is is in the picture or wasn't there.....but, such logic typically does notdisuade her. []

LOL
    Wally Bouw Flickr Vimeo

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Ruyle

Happens to me all the time

I especially like the last two.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

[+o(]

Wally
    Wally Bouw Flickr Vimeo

I like the third pic, and she did do a good job on all of them

I can

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk
    Keep in mind its a good thing, because instead of a "I need a new 300mm F2.8L II" its a "We need a new 300mm F2.8L II"

Yes Rick, You are right,[Y] but what worries me is that she NOW BELIEVES that you DO NOT need more GOOD lenses [^o)], as the proof is in her pictures..., but I still love her [U]

Wally
    Wally Bouw Flickr Vimeo

All those qualities that you saw in your wife that made her that special person for you, Wally, have bloomed and developed over the years. Your expert mentoring[H] and encouragement has paid off, she should be very grateful. You have done nothing wrong. What a fine example of a husband you are, you should shout yourself another lens in recognition of your efforts.

Congratulations to you both.

[]oh dear, she better not see this.

Steve
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

OH Steve OH Steve

You must be bloody Aussie[}] to come up with those beautiful paragraphs... LOL

Wally
    Wally Bouw Flickr Vimeo

funny this thread popped up today! My wife has rarely used my camera, and this past weekend I got some pictures of a turkey I was somewhat proud of. Today she emails me at work and tells me she got a good pic of a turkey. "yeah yeah, sure" i told her. When i got home she had an decent pic of a monster turkey and can't stop bragging about her picture (she's on the phone right now telling her sister! haha) Like everyone else...i told her maybe its time she get her own camera (my t2i), and I showed her the 5D I could upgrade to so we can share lenses and go on photo shoots together

Then i showed her a 500 L and said we should both get one to take bird pics...she walked out of the room...