Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Another Gadget I'd Like Opinions on ...

Re: Another Gadget I'd Like Opinions on ...

I

Sean,

Please keep us updated with your opinions on the sigma 30. I have had this on the radar too long now, and it will be good to hear a field evaluation of the lens, as compared to some other reviews, especially in light of sigma making 2different iterations sigma has brought out on this lens. Which version, ( I hope the new one) did you get?

Sean,

That lens and the 28 f1.8 were on my radar for a LOOONG time. I finally pulled the trigger on a 28 refurb for $407. I have only used it for a few days and have been happy with its performance so far. I have to admit the only prime I have used to any great extent before that was a 60 macro. Nailing focus with 1.8 has been.... tricky. I would like to know how you feel about that sigma lens though.

I have heard mixed reviews about both the 28 and the sigma. The ISO charts here show the sigma might be a bit sharper to my eye, though I may be wrong.

I think it came down to the fact that I am PRETTY sure that I will be buying into full-frame in the next "year-ish" and I didn
    5D mark III, 50D, 17-40 f4L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L ​IS, 28 f1.8, 50 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 100 f2.8 Macro

Denise, More value here: www.bhphotovideo.com/.../search

Bob
    Bob

So I was playing with the lens tonight, using Al Servo focus (center point, on the ferret's face) and my White Lightning Ultrazap 1600 (lowest power), diffused by a softbox pointed at the ceiling. Keep in mind, that's not much light on this subject. I bumped up the exposure 1/3 stop in DPP and applied my usual Sharpness setting of "3."

Sigma 30mm f/1.4 @ f/1.8

If you click on the picture and choose "Download" from the linked page, you should be able to grab the full res shot.

wow, that seams pretty flippin
    5D mark III, 50D, 17-40 f4L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L ​IS, 28 f1.8, 50 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 100 f2.8 Macro

I was extremely surprised that it didn't require a microfocus adjustment on either my 7D or 50D. It seems to nail focus even at f/1.4 and f/1.6. I'm extremely impressed with it so far. I might find a fault with it eventually...but right now, it's looking like a pretty good decision.

Here's a little self-portrait I took tonight...this one's at f/1.6. In all fairness, I threw it into Photoshop and added a .75 pixel unsharp mask to the green channel and applied it to my eyes. I also applied a small amount of lens [distortion] correction.

Denise, check out Demb (www.dembflashproducts.com). Demb sells great minimalist flash modifiers.

Thanks for the link! Have you used any of these ...if so, which ones? They look like pretty handy modifiers and relatively inexpensive. I

Hi Denise. At the recent Flashbus Tour with Joe and Dave, they were using a small attachable softbox from Lumiquest...here is the link at Amazon...[url="http://www.amazon.com/Lumiquest-LQ-119-The-Softbox-III/dp/B001HAER88/ref=sr_1_46?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1301541984 &sr=1-46]http://www.amazon.com/Lumiquest-LQ-119-The-Softbox-III/dp/B001HAER88/ref=sr_1_46?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1301541984 &sr=1-46[/url]....they were using it with great success!! Here is one that I use, too...Amazon link to Rogue Flashbender...[url="http://www.amazon.com/Rogue-FlashBenders-ROGUEFLAG-Bounce-Card/dp/B003UOKLJI/ref=sr_1_65?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1301542164 &sr=1-65]http://www.amazon.com/Rogue-FlashBenders-ROGUEFLAG-Bounce-Card/dp/B003UOKLJI/ref=sr_1_65?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1301542164 &sr=1-65[/url] . Check them out!

Sean...great pics with the Sigma 30 1.4! I, too, use it! It works really well on my 1D4....and 3 times less expensive than the 35<span style="color: #ff0000;"]L!! The only problem is, I can only stop down to about f5 maybe f5.6 before the corners darken!! It is a pretty fantastic lens, all said. Here are a couple shots...at f1.4. I find that on my 1D4, with 1.3x, it works pretty well for environmental portraits(especially young ones!!)

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/9/2806.Catching-Water.jpg[/img]

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/9/4456.The-Look.jpg[/img]