Thread: Need help with my Travel Kit, Primes?

Need help with my Travel Kit, Primes?

Hello TDP!

New here, I have been visiting this site for ages, but have decided to join the Community.

I travel a lot mainly in Japan, and always want to take my DSLR everywhere.

I just got back from a small trip there just before the big earthquake.

My bag had

-Canon 7d

-Tamron 17-50mm 2.8

-Sigma 30mm 1.4

-Canon 50mm 1.4

-Canon 28-135mm

I have been thinking of replacing the 28-135mm with theCanon EF 70-200mm f/4.0 L IS.

But I didn't really ever use my 28-135mm. I never really had a need for a tele.

So i was thinking instead of the 70-200, should I just get something like theCanon EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS orCanon EF 135mm f/2.0 L USM?

I mainly do street photography. But wanted to start doing some macro.

Thanks in Advance

Re: Need help with my Travel Kit, Primes?

Madvette,

Welcome! First off, how do you like your Sigma 30mm f1.4? Regarding your question, you are talking about lenses I, mostly, do not have, a photography type I don't do and a place I've never been. But to throw another lens out for consideration, I've heard the 200 mm f/2.8 referred to as one of the better "stealth" lenses out there for street photography. That may be on a FF, so maybe the 135 mm?

As for the one lens you mentioned I do have, the 100 mm f/2.8 L IS USM Macro. Great lens. I've used it both for normal telephoto work and macro. Very nice lens that can do many things. The telephoto focus is slightly slower than other lenses I have, but it is a macro lens.

Good luck,

Brant

EDIT: I was thinking about this on the way into work. Others on this forum have been taking some great pictures of architecture with various TS lenses. If I was going to Japan, I would at least consider one of those.

If you'd like to get your feet wet in macro (without diving in head first), I'd suggest picking up some extension tubes. Extension tubes allow you to focus closer to subjects with your existing EF lenses. I recently picked up some used Kenko extension tubes ($100 on ebay) and I've been having a blast with them.

Brant,

I love my sigma 30. I think I got extremely lucky and got one with no focusing issues. I would say that lens is on my Camera 50% of the time.

I had thought about the 200mm f/2.8 but I don

Quote Originally Posted by Madvette

So i was thinking instead of the 70-200, should I just get something like theCanon EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS orCanon EF 135mm f/2.0 L USM?

It sounds like the 100mm F/2.8 L IS would be the choice. It will be the sharpest lens in your kit you have now, and will definitly do some macro.

I preordered my copy and have had it since its release. It is one of my favorite lenses.

Welcome to the site Madvette, that 70-200 f/4 is a wonderful outdoor lens, indoor if on a tripod. For what it does, it

Quote Originally Posted by Madvette

I have been thinking of replacing the 28-135mm with theCanon EF 70-200mm f/4.0 L IS.

But I didn't really ever use my 28-135mm. I never really had a need for a tele.

Hi Madvette,

Welcome to the Jungle!

Looking at your kit, it looks like you have the wide angle and low light normal primes covered.

So.., lets see you're interested in street photography and macro.

You have 3 very nice choices listed; 70-200 f/4L IS, 135 f/2L, and the 100mm f/2.8L IS macro.

I have the similar 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II as well as the other 2 choices that you're considering.

If you want to do macro then you should get the 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro, but otherwise I would not buy that lens, as your current kit is configured, because then your longest lens in your kit will only be 100mm and I think that is too short. The 100mm is too long for indoors (but you already have that covered) and too short for outdoor street photography sniping, and the 100mm does not take the 1.4X extender. This macro lens will become weather sealed when a filter is added.

The 70-200mm f/4L IS is long enough and fast enough for some sports, and it will be good for street photography and you could also add the 1.4X extender to have a 98-280mm f/5.6L IS. This lens will also be weather sealed with a filter added. This lens is also a little slow for outdoor "night" photography.

The 135mm f/2L would be a good choice for outdoor street photography on the 7D, especially in low light in the evening, and the f/2 can really isolate your subject and create that beautiful background bokeh, as well as simplify a cluttered background. This black lens is also a bit less conspicuous than the white zooms, however 200mm is less conspicuous than 135mm. The 135mm could also accept the 1.4X extender which further adds to it's flexibility. So, now the lens will become a 189 f/2.8L, again much more flexible than the 100mm macro. The 135mm doesn't have IS, but I don't feel it's missed on such a fast, short, lightweight lens.The 135mm is not weather sealed.

So, it comes down to macro or reach and only you could make that decision.

When considering reach, don't forget to factor in the occasional use of 1.4x extenders in a pinch and factor in that there is a slight IQ penalty for this convenience.

Last point, would be that the135mm is actually much longer than a 35mm difference when compared to the 100mm when both lenses are used on a 1.6X crop body like the 7D.

In other words, the 135mm will behave like 216mm, and the 100mm will behave more like 160mm So, the difference between these 2 lenses on a 7D, is more like 56mm, of course this difference will be even greater if you use the 1.4X extender. So, don't forget to multiply the mm lens difference by the bodies crop factor.

I also thought about suggesting the black/stealth 180mm f/3.5L Macro lens which would provide you with reach and macro ability. Of course, you will be sacrificing some outdoor low light capability, but you were willing to give that up with the 70-200mm f/4L IS. Even though you will sacrifice aperture width, when compared to the 135mm f/2L, the longer 180mm focal length will make up for it in isolating your subject from the background. Also, the 180mm doesn't have IS and it's not weather sealed and it's certainly larger than the others for traveling. It may even be too long for your street needs, I'm not sure. With the 135mm you could add the extender and with the 180mm you can't take off any focal length. The 180mm is also compatible with the 1.4X extender. I don't own this lens so perhaps others could chime in.

If you do get a 180mm macro then you may eventually need an affordable 85mm f/1.8 or 100mm f/2.0 to fill the gap in your kit.

I would like to thank Bryan for providing us with all of this valuable information that he includes in his reviews, all I'm doing is summarizing his hard work.

Good Luck,

Rich

Again i want to really thank everyone for the great advice.

I was really up on the fence on which one to get, But i have decided to go ahead and get the 135mm f/2.0 L

I just know that f/2 is going to help me out a ton during the evening and night hours on the streets of Tokyo.

But i also have decided to go ahead and get the 100mm f/2.8 L when i get back from my Trip. Something about this lens intrigues me.

I could have easily completed this kit with say a 70-200mm f/4L IS or f/2.8 IS II L but something about the white lens makes getting good shots difficult. People tend to notice you more then say with a black lens. I would also think you would attract less attention from criminals with a black lens. I know when i