Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What should i buy along side of my 24-105 F4L for an additional?

What should i buy along side of my 24-105 F4L for an additional?

Can anyone suggest me about what lens should i buy next to use along side with my 24-105 F4L? should i look for a wide angle lens or telephoto lens? i'm using it as a general purpose or walk around use. for wide angle lens i'm considering canon 17-40 F4L and for a telephoto i'm considering canon 70-200 F4L or if anyone have something else to recommend. i have a canon 50d. Thanks for your help

Re: What should i buy along side of my 24-105 F4L for an additional?

IMO, for a 1.6x crop body like the 50D, the best wide angle complement to the 24-105mm is the EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5. It's the only ultrawide zoom lens for a crop body, and it's an excellent lens (for example, it has much less barrel distortion at 10mm on a crop body than the 16-35mm f/2.8L II does at 16mm on FF, despite being equivalent in terms of angle of view). For the tele end, you can't go wrong with a 70-200mm lens, they are all great. Unless you shoot mainly action sports, if your budget permits consider the 70-200mm f/4L IS - it's a little better optically and has IS (but the f/4 non-IS version is a great value).

josuke,

I have a 50D too, along with both the 17-40L and the 70-200 f4L (non-IS version). I can attest that they are both fabulous lenses that are pretty darn good value considering their price tag. I think you may find that the 17-40 is NOT as wide as you want it to be if you are truly going for wide angle and it might not get used as much as you want it to since a considerable amount of its range is overshadowed by your 24-105, which has IS, and that is soooo nice. I love image stabilization.

Personally, I have never used the Canon 10-22, but there has been enough praise sung about it that you really couldn't go wrong with it. I have the Tokina 12-24 f4 and it is in somewhat of a different class from the Canon 10-22, but it still takes quality images (I would feel comfortable blowing up to 24x36) and is considerably cheaper than the Canon 10-22. In all fairness, I have to say that if my budget permitted, I would have purchased the 10-22 [U]. As it is though I would rather have a Tokina 12-24 AND a Canon 85 1.8 than just a 10-22, so thats the way I went. [H]

Good luck on your decision. If you have more questions, holler!

Cheers,

Dave.
    5D mark III, 50D, 17-40 f4L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L ​IS, 28 f1.8, 50 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 100 f2.8 Macro

Hi, I had the same doubtssome time ago when I wanted to add both wide angle and longer reach to my 24-105/500D combo. Of course it depends on your shooting style and your own needs which end to go for first. Personally I was missing wider angle more than longer reach so I got the Canon 10-22 first. There are also seemingly good third party options that I was considering but a local rebate on the 10-22 helped me make the decision.

I didn’t consider the 17-40 as an option - the wide angle on a crop body is decent but far from what you get with the 10-22. The downside of the 10-22 is that it doesn’t cover any normal focal lengths and you will likely not use it as a general purpose lens. It is a lens that I put on when I want to shoot wide and then I put my 24-105 back on again.

In situations when I absolutely want to bring only one lens and still want to have decent wide angle, I simply use the 18-55 kit lens - it’s not bad at all even if it can’t compete with my other lenses.

So, my suggestion would be to add a wide angle zoom in the range of 10-20 something - I'm sure you would have lots of fun with such a lens. There are several options and Bryan has recently done some quite interesting testing of various lenses that you can use for comparison.

Thanks guys so it seems that you guys suggested me to add a wide angle len for my every day use first then buy a telephoto len later. In that case i want to know which lens you guys more often use between 10-22 and 70-200? and Do you have any other wide angle lens to suggest me because the canon 10-22 is an EFS only, i may upgrade my Canon 50d to a full-frame next year though.

If I was considering a switchover to full frame within a year or so, I would probably have chosen another option than buying a new UWA for crop bodies only. The price drop from new to used is quite steep. A reasonable solution would be to buy a used 10-20 something . Then you could always sell it the day you no longer need it without too much loss. (With some luck you could even make a few bucks.)

The info about a full frame switchover in the relatively near future makes your decision even more difficult. It may be better to go for the telezoom first instead if you can live with the kit lens for wider angles than 24 mm. Your current 24-105 is a great range for full frame and you may be quite happy with the 24 mm at the wide end. Then it would be more useful to have e.g. a 70-200 zoom instead of more wide angle. (You would notice that 200 mm on full frame is not much tighter than 105 mm on your 50D.)

However, my most important advice would be to get lenses for the camera body you have, not for a body you may have in the future. Go for a used 10-20

Thanks for your help. it

Quote Originally Posted by josuke7
    you guys suggested me to add a wide angle len for my every day use

Everyday use? IMO, an ultrawide zoom is not for everyday use, it's for landscapes, interiors, etc. Even at the long end, they aren't suitable for use as a general purpose lens. For a crop body, the typical general purpose zoom lenses (defined as a lens that spans from moderate wide angle to short telephoto) are lenses like the 17-55mm, the Rebel kit lens (18-55mm), and 3rd party alternatives (Tamron/Sigma 17-50mm).

Your 24-105mm is a great general purpose zoom for a FF camera, but24mm on crop is 38mm FF-equivalent, so that's 'normal' not even wide angle, i.e. 35mm or less.

In that case i want to know which lens you guys more often use between 10-22 and 70-200?

Personally, I use my telephoto zooms (70-200mm, 100-400mm) more than my ultrawide angle zoom (16-35mm). But it depends mostly on what you like to shoot, so only you can really make that call. I found the 70-200mm focal length to be awkward on my 7D - it was too long for indoor use, and too short when I really needed reach (thus the 100-400mm). The best use for the 70-200mm range for me on a crop body was outdoor events (backyard parties, etc.). Once I added a 5DII, the 70-200mm focal length became much more useful to me. But on the balance, even though I found the 70-200mm range awkward, that lens still saw more use than the 10-22mm I had at the time. Once I got the 5DII, I sold the 10-22mm in favor of the 16-35mm - and as I recall, I sold it for only about $50 less than I paid for it, after using it for around a year.

Do you have any other wide angle lens to suggest me because the canon 10-22 is an EFS only, i may upgrade my Canon 50d to a full-frame next year though.

"May upgrade to FF," or, "Will upgrade to FF?" I do think the 10-22mm is the best lens in the crop-body ultrawide class. The only lens that functions as an ultrawide on crop and still works on FF is the Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6. But, although it fits the focal length needs you have (and is the widest zoom for FF camreas available), the Sigma is slow, and soft even when stopped down (see a comparison at 20mm vs. the Canon 16-35mm II, with the Sigma stopped down by 2 stops to f/11 and the Canon wide open at f/2.8). On your 50D, the really soft corners would be cropped away, but not on FF. Other than the Sigma 12-24mm lens, UWA zooms for Canon FF start at 16/17mm (Nikon has a 14-24mm for FF) - and 16mm on FF is wide angle on a crop body, but not ultrawide.

If you are pretty sure you'll upgrade to FF soon, you may be better off with a less expensive crop body ultrawide. There are several contenders in that area - Sigma's 8-16mm and 10-20mm, Tamron's 10-24mm, and Tokina's 11-16mm, chack Bryan's reviews. If you don't have anything wider than the 24-105mm, then a really inexpensive option to tide you over would be to pick up a used EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens - that's the Rebel kit lens, and I routinely see them on Craigslist for ~$80. It's not a stellar lens, cheaply built, but when stopped down to f/8 it's actually not bad, and it's a cheap way to find out if you like shooting wide angle (when you get a FF body, your 24-105mm will be wider than the 18mm on your 50D).

so i think i

The Canon EF-S 10-22mm is a very nice Lens. It