Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Deterring Crime

Deterring Crime

Good Morning, Guys!

I am facing a dilemma here that has really limited my shooting opportunites of late. Maybe some suggestions will help me get over it& get back to normal!

Alittle background info ...

Many times after work I would go to a beautiful park near my office to shoot (about an hour from where I live). Last week, in midday, a girl was attacked while jogging in the exact area I normally go to. The first day that I was planning to go after the winter thaw, I read this in the paper. The article said they don't know if the attacker wanted her Ipod or her because she was able to fight him off and run to an area where people were and call for help but he got away.

Since reading this, I have cancelled plans to shoot sunrises and walking park trails on the few nice weather days that we have had recently. It was like a lightbulb went on in my head reminding me that it is not safe to be out and about alone like I have been doing, with or without my gear!

Today it is suppose to be beautiful outside but I am heading to my backyard soon instead of a park.

Last year, I posted on craigslist that I wanted to start a hobbyist group with other local photographers but no bites.Now that I think about it, maybe thatalone was an invitation to crime but my family & friends have better things to do than going with me all the time and standing around while I take photos!

If I don't get over this soon, all you guys will be seeing out of me is LOTS of backyard bird photos! What a waste of beautiful weather to come! Or maybe the question is ...should I get over this!?

Denise

Re: Deterring Crime

Denise....you're right to be concerned, but you can't live your life in fear.

You will need to heighten your awareness in an area like this and be prepared to react.

Suggestions; have easy access to your cell, (more importantly) have (bear [] ) pepper spray attached to your jacket, don't be so focused on shooting, be prepared to leave a spot if you're uncomfortable, let people know where you are and how long you estimate the shoot will take, don't hesitate to call contacts if you're running late, etc.

I'm sure others will have more ideas to stay safe, but your concerns are normal...you just need to develop precautions IMO.

good luck

Bill

Denise,

You dogs can be a distraction for you but a deterrent to criminals. They know even the sweetest dogs will protect their owners. They will leave you alone and go pray on someone that is easy pray.

Mark
    Mark

I agree with Bill, though you may want to check your local laws on using bear spray on a human. If it is life or death, sure anything goes. But a pick-pocket or peeping tom may be a different story.

Another thing to keep in mind is bad guys will instinctively go for easy targets. One of the easiest ways to remove yourself from the "easy" target list is to simply be aware of your surroundings. Pay attention to the people (or person) around you. If they know that you know they are there (confusing??), it will drastically lessen your chances of being a victim. I would venture to say 99% of the bad guys go after the people that didn't know they were there.

Braden

I like Bill's idea on Pepper Spray, and letting people know when, where, and about how long you will be out.

I was at a local sporting good store yesterday (looking for smoke flares for a shoot [:P]), and I came across a small 1"x1/2" keychain whistle for those stranded and lost hiking in the forest. That maybe a good thing to have as well as an alternative to a rape whistle!

Also, I think many people have hesitancy using Craiglist especially with the crimes apparently associated with them. Flickr typically has a local Flickr Meet Group that meets up with local photographers in your area to do monthly shoots. I know there were dozens of photographers that attended my local Flickr meetup to shoot a Special Olympics Polar Plunge couple months ago!! []

-Tak

Denise

Human pepper spray is a good idea. Bear spray not so much unless you have bears in the area, one thing is it's to big and bulky and it's designed for bears not humans.

Craiglist is used by many theifs and criminals, advertising for a photo group you might be ok. Theifs would tend to avoid groups like this, but be careful.

I have thought about security myself, usually at big parks where a lot of people go through in remote areas. For instance in Yellowstone last year I was always on guard. Which has me thinking about concealed carry. National parks prohibited firearms till about a year ago when certain laws changed, now whatever carry law of the state you are in applies to the park. Call me a redneck, but there are to many nuts out there that would knock you in the head for $12000 worth of camera gear.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk

Call me a redneck, but there are to many nuts out there that would knock you in the head for $12000 worth of camera gear.

Red Neck! []

There are too many nuts out there that would knock you in the head for much less just to get their next rock of Crack or fix of Meth.

When I am out and about walking through the woods or on a nature trail alone, I am always tuned into what is going on around me. I have my ears tuned to any noise and eyes to everything around me. It not only helps me find and see the wildlife I am out to take pictures of, but it keeps me alert to anything approaching me such as other noisy people with no respect for nature or people trying to take pictures.. [:@]
    Fortunately I am not a very small person, and have been told I can be a little intimidating. I worry more about people breaking into my vehicle when it's left in an isolated area and I'm away from it.

I think I am going to look into the human pepper spray. I have no idea where to purchase it. Maybe it will at least provide me with some sense of security when I am out & at least get me out there. I just don

Quote Originally Posted by tkerr
    There are too many nuts out there that would knock you in the head for much less just to get their next rock of Crack or fix of Meth.

Thats true, and at the public parks everyone gets to come in.

Insurance takes care of people breaking into the vehicle. I worry more that my insurance won't pay off than I do about the criminal ripping it off. Insurance companies will work harder to rip you off than the thieves will, at least thats been my experience. Thats why I always make sure everything is covered up in the car before I leave.

As for being in the back woods, you are much safer against thieves when off the road on the trails. Thieves are looking for something easy, and walking a mile or two to steal your camera isn't easy. But for a woman in the park, attackers may not be thieves and what they want they may prefer to be off the trail.

Denise

My step daughter carries it on her key chain. You could keep it on your camera, on a belt or in your pocket. The one she has is less than three inches long and very compact. You have to discharge it fairly close. Now if you use bear spray, it will go 15 to 20 feet away, but it can be as dangerous to you as it is to your attacker. When you use it if your not aware of the wind it will blow back on you. The canisters are more the size of a household spray can. Bear spray can be had at most camping stores.

My thoughts are this, the human spray is small and concealed. Say your walking on a trail and some people are moving on the same trail past you and your not to comfortable with them. You can have the pepper spray in your hand ready to go and they will never know. Then if thy are no threat and just people out for a nature hike, if you pull the big can of bear spray out as they are walking up they may think your the one that is psycho and take off running.

Don't live in fear, but just be prepared. Life is to short to not enjoy.

Rick

Denise

One other thought, Tasers are leagal in many states. I would go to your local firearms store, they normally carry mace and tasers and see what options they might have for you.

Rick