Thread: Which iPad Sun Positioning & Timing App for Photographers?

Which iPad Sun Positioning & Timing App for Photographers?

It seems that there are now three apps for the iPad designed for calculating the best time of day to get your shot at a given location, and it's far from clear to me which I should get. At between £3 and £5.50 I don't think we should all have to buy every app to decide which is best.

The three are:

1. Golden Hour (looks a little basic graphically but has what could be a very useful bookmarking function preloaded with renowned photographic locations around the world)

2. LightTrac (looks quite good but doesn't appear to have been updated September 2010, so maybe since iOS 4.2 was released so may not support multitasking; also I don't trust paid-for apps that don't release updates soon after a new iOS is released)

3. The Photographer's Ephemeris (has lots of funky features, including calculating when the sun will appear from behind a hill etc. Not sure if it has such good bookmarking functionality though. Also more expensive than the other two).

Does anyone have any experience with these? Or does anyone know of any comparison reviews? I've not been able to find anything much using Google - only reviews of the individual apps saying how great they are but no comparisons.

Thanks in advance

Re: Which iPad Sun Positioning & Timing App for Photographers?

I use the Photographer

Thanks, I didn

i like Focalware on my iphone...sure it

Thanks John, thats a great link downloaded it already, never heard of it before, it made me think about the amount of sun we actually get here and after a google search i'm really depressed;

This is what i found.....

Scotland has a reputation for cloudiness and this is most notable during its relatively short winter days.

The minimum amount of sunshine in a month, a mere 36 minutes, was recorded at Cape Wrath in the Highlands in January 1983.

Annual average sunshine totals vary from as little as 711–1140 hours in the highlands and the north-west,

Average annual sunshine hours over the whole territory are 1160 (taking 1971 to 2000 as standard) meaning that the sun shines about 35% of the time.

At least i now know when the sun is up!

[st][st][li][st][um][li]

You can't win can you Ade? Just last week you wanted the sun to be down as long as possible to shoot distant galaxies, now you don't see enough of it.

Sorry that I can't advise Feanor which app to get. I plan my shooting from home in advance using timeanddate.com, so there's no need to download anything. As long as you can get an internet connection, it will work on your iPad or iPhone as well.
    Last edited by Andy Stringer; 11-12-2011 at 05:13 PM.

LOL, never satisfied me, I think i

I use Sun Seeker a fair bit.

It allows you to use the camera to overlay the path of the sun on the actual scene. While it sadly doesn't have lunar support yet, the combination of a map, compass, detailed, and 3D view are really hard to beat.

I won't say that I don't make use of LightTrac either though, its awesome too!

<span closure_uid_1h3z58="415" title="Click for alternate translations" class="hps"]hey,<br closure_uid_1h3z58="424" /><span closure_uid_1h3z58="416" title="Click for alternate translations" class="hps"]You can also <span closure_uid_1h3z58="417" title="Click for alternate translations" class="hps"]check a <span closure_uid_1h3z58="418" title="Click for alternate translations" class="hps"]good quality <span closure_uid_1h3z58="419" title="Click for alternate translations" class="hps"]and cheap <span closure_uid_1h3z58="420" title="Click for alternate translations" class="hps"][b][url="http://www.espow.com/wholesale-apple-accessories-protective-cases-ipad-cases.html]ipad case[/url][/b], and [b][url="http://www.espow.com/wholesale-apple-accessories-protective-cases-ipad-cases.html]iPad keyboard case[/url][/b] <span closure_uid_1h3z58="421" title="Click for alternate translations" class="hps"]want to <span closure_uid_1h3z58="422" title="Click for alternate translations" class="hps"]be useful to you.

<span closure_uid_1h3z58="422" title="Click for alternate translations" class="hps"]<span closure_uid_1h3z58="423" title="Click for alternate translations"][img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/550x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/9/2705.EIPCASE249_2D00_m.JPG[/img]