Thread: Hockey

Hockey

I've been lurking around for a while and have really learned a lot from the articles and comments in these forums, but this is my first post...

These are some shots I took in the past couple months at NJ Devils games (from the upper level). I used my Rebel Xsi and EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS for these 3 shots, but I have some from last Sunday using my recently acquired 70-200mm 2.8L IS that I will post this week. Not surprisingly I got many more usable shots with the L lens where these are the only ones I feel are presentable that I was able to get in these conditions with the EF-S.

Any comments are appreciated! Most of my shooting is of sports, especially motorsports, so I'd love to hear from anyone with a background in these areas in particular.

Thanks,

Zane

Travis Zajac scores to win the shootout

187mm, f5.6, 1/500, RGB, ISO 800, cropped & auto levels in Photoshop CS:

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.26.25/Zajac-Shootout-GW.jpg[/img]

Dainius Zubrus goal off one-time pass

200mm, f5.6, 1/500, RGB, ISO 800, cropped & auto levels in Photoshop CS:

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.26.25/Zubrus-2nd-Goal.jpg[/img]

Chris Kelly ties it up

250mm, f5.6, 1/400, RGB, ISO 800, cropped & auto levels in Photoshop CS:

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.26.25/Kelly-Tying-Goal.jpg[/img]

Re: Hockey

I like the moments you captured - Great timing!

Nice shots. Not too bad for 5.6. I'm sure you will like the new lens much better as I have one and shoot hockey with it as well. It really helps to set a custom white balance with a ExpoDisc if you can for indoor sports. Here are a couple of local high school shots I recently got from the penalty box using a EF 300 f/4.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.22.75/CC_2D00_JV_5F00_HFL201-copy2.jpg.jpg[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.22.75/CC_2D00_JV_5F00_HFL002-copy-copy.jpg[/img]

Hi Zaner, I like the moment you captured. The only thing I would do is giving these images a trip to either Noise Ninja or NeatImage to reduce the noise. Looking at the small file size and still seeing the noise, I believe the larger versions have a lot of noise. Nothing wrong with noise though, you'd rather have a noisy picture than a blurry picture due to motion blurr and camera shake. Oh and big congrats on the new 70-200[]

Thanks.... I think the fact that I played hockey & lacrosse goalie for about 15 years helps so I can anticipate where the play is going to go. Now to improve the technical aspects..

Nice shots Tom

Sinh, any particular preference between Noise Ninja & Neat image? I think I'll give both a try, but I was just wondering if there is a particular performance/feature difference between them.