Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Deciding on a lens

Re: Deciding on a lens

You guys are phenomenal, thank you for all the help!

I think I

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

Quote Originally Posted by erno james

if trying to do landscapes on a cropped sensor, go with a 10-22 Canon EFS or a 10-20 3rd party lens. When you go full frame, you'll have a backup that can do both.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Just to clarify, you'll "have a backup that can do both" refers to the body+lens combo, i.e. it would require you to keep the crop body. An EF-S lens will not mount on a FF camera.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Your right, you can't use the 10-22mm on a full frame. But you can mod the mount and make it work.You can use other third party lenses on full frame without modification. Usually they only do this because they already have a mini ultra wide and use it on there full frame anyway,but a full frame ultra wide will give you better results.

John.

i

Quote Originally Posted by kkl7040
    but on the other hand i usually stop my 50/1.8 down to at least 2.2-2.8 because its too soft any wider.

Are you sure it's not focussing issues? The 50mm f/1.8 should still yielddecent results wide open. Could you post an example?

I'd go 17-55mm and add the 28mm f/1.8 later on if you need it. If you don't use it that often you could get a MF lens and convert it EF mount. But not every body likes to MF.

John.

Hey John,

Thanks for questioning the sharpness of my 50mm. So i first went through my photos looking for pics taken at 1.8. What I started to notice was that any time I was at 1.8 my ISO was high as well. Basically, Most pics taken at 1.8 were very dimly lit and therefor still needed a lot of ISO along with it. Conversely, most of my favorite pics in the 2.2--&gt;2.8 range were in a brighter environment, consequently with a lower ISO. So I got my daughter in my office (relatively dark) and snapped some pics at 1.8 &amp; 2.8, setting my ISO @ 800 on my T2i, the pics were so-so. I then put my flash on and set my ISO to 100. I was blown away at how sharp it was at 1.8 !

Long story short, the lens

Thats great. Also you should apply a some noise reduction, a good noise reduction softwarewill actually enhance dietail if used properly. Also have a go at DxO if you haven't aready, it has fantastic noise reduction. It's about two stops better than DPP. With better clolors and dynamic range at high ISO's.

Here is the link to the trial www.dxo.com/.../trial_version

I use DxO and love it!

John.

I

It will no doupt work fine on your t2i, fast auto focus and faster aperture than the kit lens and much better build. But as I have already pointed out in this post it

I

Are sure you want to wait that long? The 1Ds IV might not be released this year and the 5D III is not going to be released before the 1Ds IV, you could be waiting two years before 5D III comes out. If you want a full frame why not buy a used 5D II and sell it when the 5D III comes out. You wouln