Thread: CS4 and DPP Conversion Issue

CS4 and DPP Conversion Issue

Hey guys,

My question deals with the converting of files from TIFF to JPGs. My workflow is as follows => shoot in RAW, import into DPP, selection process, change white balance and basic exposure, then convert to TIFF in 16 bit. Next, images requiring some tweaking are edited in CS4, and saved as TIFF. After all the editing is done, I'll use DPP to convert the files to JPGs.

Now the issue arises. Sometimes after editing an image in CS4 and saving it as a TIFF, DPP will not read the file. It just shows the file there with an X over it. This prevents me from converting the image to a JPG. I tried opening the file again in CS4 and saving it as a JPG, but the option does not exist.

What I want to know, is if anyone knows why this happens?

I've found an image processing function in CS4 that solves this issue, but I'm still curious as to why DPP cannot read the file after its been edited in CS4 and again why CS4 can't just save the file as a JPG.

Any and all insight is welcome.

Thanks!

Mike
    7D | 1D Classic | EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS | EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS

Re: CS4 and DPP Conversion Issue

You may have to change your image from from 16 bit to 8 bit, before it will let you save as jpeg.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Are you using Zip Compression when you save as Tiff in Photoshop. Many Tiff viewers are unable to view zip compressed Tiff files, including DPP.
    Either use None or LZW and it works fine in DPP.

I have also noticed that if you use Save for web and devices rather than Save as and use Jpeg compression DPP won't read them either.

Photoshop CS4 and earlier you do have to convert from 16 bit to 8 bit before saving to jpeg. (Image / Mode / 8 bit/channel). This is a step a lot of people thought was unnecessary since jpeg is 8 bit anyways. Adobe listened and now Photoshop CS5 allows you to skip that step and just got to Save As or Save for Web and Devices. When it saves the file it will automatically convert it for you.

It was the 16 bit to 8 bit conversion. I
    7D | 1D Classic | EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS | EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS