Thread: 7D AF spot problem

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: 7D AF spot problem

Hello,

To be honest, no. Canon CPS (Switzerland) told me "the 7D is a very high end camera which is not easily tamable" (to cut it short, I

Quote Originally Posted by Tabazan
    and it's not the 7D fault, we don't see any problem from the camera or the lens .

They are probably right, I don't see a problem with you camera or lens either except if it's not focus calibrated. Which is easily tested.If it's giving you something else wrong, such my 60D which didn'tdisplay exposure simulation correctly. It was 3 stops darker than the actual image! It's almost certainly working properly.

Using the correct AF modes and technique is critical. If your camera is not defective than you need more time learning your AF, I needed quite some time just to learn the AF of my old Rebel XTi on a kit lens. What worked what didn't, what to do what not to do. If you need fast acurate AF get a used 1D III or 1D II, both of these will have much better AF than the 7D. Not even a 1D IV has a 100% hit rate in complicated situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabazan
    The result. I migrate to the yellows. I found a camera which will replace both 7D and 5D II. And I'll be happy with that.Time will tell.

If you can't manage a sharp shot on the 7D only Nikon would be a competitor to Canon. And chances are very slim thatyou would be any better withNikon if you can't get a sharp shot on a 7D,most of the differances between themare in more complicated situations. Further negating going toany other brandeven ifthere AFis better. Even if its a 1D IV which has a very complicated AF and lots of settings.Canon has the best IQ of any 1.6/1.5 DSLR. Sony and Pentax and othersare not in the same leage as Canon or Nikonin terms of IQand there AF isknown tobe worst. Canon also has better lenses overal than Nikon and are a bit cheaper. But thats not a huge differentiating factor.

John.

Tabazan,

Sorry to hear that you're going over to the dark side! Please come back to the light!

Are we too late?

If your camera is fine, then I'm sure if you hang around here a little while then we can help you. All of these new Digital DSLR's are very complicated and confusing, no matter which brand you end up with.

The spot focus and 135mm (the 35mm equivalent is 216mm) telephoto @ f/2 further complicate the learning curve, because the small spot AF point coupled to a longish focal length and the widest aperture f/2, will give a very narrow DOF, which only gives you a couple of inches to nail focus.

If you haven't given up totally, then you could clear all of your camera settings and we could start from scratch.

Rich

fast glass, no they don