Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Image quality 50D

Image quality 50D

I don’t know weather it’s me or what, but does anyone experience image quality issues with DSLR’s. I have a 50D with an EF-S 18-200mm lens f3.5 – 5.6 IS and sometimes feel my 7megapixel Canon point a shoot gives better quality images, is it the lens, software camera or me, maybe the last one ? Just putting it out there to see if anyone else has a similar issue. The photograph on the screen I believe should be sharper before I manipulate it, at present I only have DPP. Any thoughts. Scott

Image quality 50D

I don’t know weather it’s me or what, but does anyone experience image quality issues with DSLR’s. I have a 50D with an EF-S 18-200mm lens f3.5 – 5.6 IS and sometimes feel my 7megapixel Canon point a shoot gives better quality images, is it the lens, software camera or me, maybe the last one ? Just putting it out there to see if anyone else has a similar issue. The photograph on the screen I believe should be sharper before I manipulate it, at present I only have DPP. Any thoughts. Scott

Re: Image quality 50D

if we're gonna blame hardware, it's probably the lens.. but have you considered all possibilities? there's a lot of work that point-and-shoots do for you.. are you sure that you're using a snappy enough shutter speed? point-and-shoots do a lot of things for you.. like automatically adjust the ISO to allow a fast shutter speed.. have you taken the time to investigate all options like that before flat out saying DSLRs have bad image quality?

FYI, i've shot with an xti, a 40d, and a 5dmkII, and every one of those cameras has yielded fantastic picture quality-- much better than anything i could have ever achieved with a point-and-shoot.

Scott,

a lot goes into understanding a digital slr vs a point and shoot.... its not a minor upgrade its a totally different system.

check out www.learnslr.com and you may read through the 50d guide and 450d guide to see what you need to get a grasp of.

if you have more questions post um

I have had the Rebel XTi, 40D and now the 50D - I use all L lenses except for our 50mm 1.4.If L lenesare used on the 50D - there is no better camera for the money. I believe it could be your lens. Suggestion: Shop eBay for used L lenses.

A big difference between point&shoot and a 50D is focus. The 50D will have a much narrower depth of field, so it is harder to focus unless you stop way down.

I would get out into good light (or use a flash) and take a picture with lowish iso (400 or less) and stopped down to about f/8 or more. I would use a tripod or a very high shutter speed and take a picture of something flat and not too close (> 10 feet away). I would take several pictures using autofocus and several focusing carefuly with live view. If none of the pictures were good, I would suspect the lens. (Obviously, if the manual focus ones are good and the af ones are bad, I would suspect the autofocus.) Just my advice... I'm no expert.

Two more points. Point and shoots are capable of getting very good images in good light (good enough for viewing on a typical sized monitor). It is in low light shooting and narrow dof's that are the most noticible differnces IMO. Also, you don't need an L lens to get a good image. I would guess that the 18-200 (emphasize the word guess!) should outperform the lens on your point and shoot unless something is wrong with it.

Scott,

One other thing to look into is the processing of the images. For example, if you are shooting raw with the DSLR and comparing that with the JPEG out of your P&S it is apples and oranges. Make sure that the DSLR, or you in post, is applying similar treatments to the files as the P&S is doing. That way you can more readily compare the quality.

I guess I'll just add a bit more to this...

Sensor size affects depth of field significantly. A larger sensor or larger film would have less depth, a smaller sensor has more dof... so a point and shoot has a very very very small sensor relative to a 50d, and 50d has a slightly smaller sensor relative to a full frame like the 1ds III or 5d II.

You need to understand aperture, shutter speed, and the ability to hand hold vs tripod at shutter speeds corresponding to your focal length.

Everything is in focus with a point and shoot because they use wide lenses, have small sensors, and so there is a large DOF. With a digital SLR, you control DOF. If you need more clarity shoot at F8 or F11. (not more due to diffraction tho)

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana;"]To all who replied. Thankyou very much for your responses, I know I have a lot to learn and am enjoying the process immensely.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] It great to be able to get feed back from the pros, thank you all once again.<o></o>

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana;"]<o></o>

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana;"]Scott<o></o>

I like my 50D. Never had a problem with the images. This was taken with the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS. Love the combo. In fact the 17-55 stays on my 50D a hell of alot more than my 70-200mm f/2.8 IS (although the longer reach has its uses).

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.21.08/IMG_5F00_0920_5F00_2-small.jpg[/img]