Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which ND Filter?

Re: Which ND Filter?

Just a quick update, but after mulling this over and considering the Lee and Cokin options, I ordered the B+W ND 106 and B+W Grad ND 102 yesterday. The B+W 103 is next on my list, but I didn't have the funds to get all three.

Hopefully I'll have a few photos to share using the filters in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks for all your help.

Brant

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72
    B+W Grad ND 102

I'd be interested in your impressions of this. The inflexibility of having the grad line in the center of the frame is my big concern...

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72
    B+W Grad ND 102

I'd be interested in your impressions of this. The inflexibility of having the grad line in the center of the frame is my big concern...
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Sure.

I had thesame concern. In fact, that is why I was looking at therectangularfilter systems. I stayed with B+W as I am not sure I will use a grad ND filter enough to justify another filter "system" and for the times that I do use a grad ND filter, the B+W softGrad ND 102 may be"good enough." But, if I were to start using grad ND's a fair amount,therectangularsystems seem better for filter stacking and also give you the control over the grad line.

Does anyone have experience with Lee, Cokin or another rectangular type filter system?

Thanks,

Brant

Hey Brant, I recently started using grad NDs in preparation for a Utah/Arizona landscape phototrip with the fellas. I bought the 4 x 6" Lee resin filters with holder. I have taken to landscapes and was tired of sacrificing the foreground at the expense of a well exposed sky vs a presevered foreground with a blown out sky. I

Here is one for the "Post your Best Waterfall" thread. The only one i have ever tried. This is nockalulu falls.
    50D ISO 100, F22, 1/8 sec 24-105mm L @40mm. No filter and slightly overcast.

great shots on your flickr site , Erno!! The shot of the GG is absolutely fantastic!!

Kayaker...We are going to Kauai next month for 2 weeks, and I recently bought a B+W 106 from Amazon for those long exposures. I will let you know how it works...if it's not too late. Unfortunately, my adapted Nikon 14-24g doesn't take filters, so I am kinda bummed about that....I thought about trying to place a square ND filter over the lens(and in-place cap) to get a long exposure...but I think that will get in the way by actually being in the photo!!

[Y]Enro...great shots , especially the golden gate. I can't wait to see what you come up with from your Utah/Arizona trip. I've also thumbed through Darwin Wiggett's webpage. Thanks for the reference. It looks like a great resource. And I agree, sacrificing the foreground for a properly exposed sky is why I decided I needed some kind of grad ND filter. I'll see how the B+W Grad ND 102 works. Now I am wishing I had rushed the order.

Gregg, I'd love to see what you come up with in Kaua'i. My B+W 106 is on the way, so we may end up comparing your shots of Kaua'i to mine of New Hampshire. I have a feeling that will make me very depressed. I love Kaua'i. I was last there two years ago. Two different friends went there after I did, and I wrote up a list of my favorite places, restuarants, etc. Let me know if you are interested and I'll forward it to you.

Hi Kayaker....

Thank you for wanting to give me a list of your fav places. Don't take this the wrong way, but we typically go to either Maui or Kauai almost every year!! Well, except since Mason was born almost 4 years ago(he WAS conceived in Maui, though!!). We were last there 2 years ago, also. But thank you for being helpful, it is greatly appreciated. My father in law, who is going with us(and the babysitter, since my wife is now almost 4 1/2 months pregnant with twins) almost always comes, too.

Look forward to comparing shots when we return. I already have my #106. I will play around with it before we go, to get the feel of it, and let you know...but you are getting one, too......

cheers,

Gregg

Gregg...nothing to take the wrong way....actually, it sounds like I may need a list of your favorite places next time I go.[]

Have a good trip. Brant

Kauai is so awesome! My peeps are from Maui, but i like Kauai "mo bettah." Unsolicited advice and a photo opp: get out your macro lens and take a shot of a hot bowl of Saimin at Hamura