Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which ND Filter?

Re: Which ND Filter?

Hi Erno. We like Maui, too!! Mason was conceived in Hana(my wife says Lahaina), during Late October 2006. We were there for our 5th anniversary(Hana, just the 2 of us) for a week, then in Lahaina for another, where we met some family. We proceeded to Party our asses off for Halloween in downtown Lahaina(they call it the West Coast Mardi Gras)!! You should check it out some time...total kick in the pants. They close all Lahaina off, for the day. A family event until night time, then it becomes a really great party until the wee hours. People dress up(or not), and some people don't dress at all(seriously!!), and it is something that should be attended at least once in a life time....we've been three!!!!

Hey Erno...where do you live in CA??

Cheers, Gregg

Hi Brandt,

We don't frequent too many places out when we go. TOO expensive!! But, we do hit Kintaro's in Kapaa/Wailua(Sushi), at least 2-3 times when we are there. My father-in-law has a thing for Dukes at the Marriott, so we hit that a couple times, too, for pupus and drinks!! There is a good restaurant in Poipu, actually several, but I can't think of them right now, 'cause we usually stay in either Hanalei or Princeville when we go. And then we can't forget....Bubba's Burgers in Hanalei.

As soon as we land, we hit Costco, get most of our food and drink, and then we plan it out from there...it's just cheaper that way!!

Cheers,

Gregg

I'm using the Hoya ND400. I'm very happy, with one exception. The coating on the filter is extremely hard to clean. Though, I shoot with it, looking smudged and such, and it doesn't seem to affect the shot.

I'm looking at the B+W 106 as well...

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72
    B+W Grad ND 102

I'd be interested in your impressions of this. The inflexibility of having the grad line in the center of the frame is my big concern...
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

John,

I have had the filters for almost two weeks. Long enough to get a preliminary impression and take a few comparison photos. Except for the last comparison, to test the B+W Grad ND 102, without the filter I used M mode and controlled ISO, shutter speed and aperture until the camera indicated I was properly exposed. I then took a picture and then added the filter and took another picture with the same settings. For the last comparison, I focused on the foreground, set exposure, and then recomposed to include the sky.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/9/0574.Hampton.jpg[/img]

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/9/1108.Farms.jpg[/img]

I have a lot of other photos, if you are interested.

My impressions are both good, neutral, and not so good. The good is that I feel that the filter has improved almost every photo I've taken with it. It takes an average sky and definitely adds some extra pop to it. Regarding your concern about not being able to adjust the line, it seems to be so graduated, and the effect subtle enough,I haven't yet found that to be an issue. "The neutral," even though I did not adjust any setting, it also seems to have an impact over the entire image, not just the portion that appears shaded (before I would have said that the "ND" was only over 50% of the filter). The not so good, is that I was hoping for more of an effect. I suspect the "2 stop" performance is at the very extreme edge of the filter and it decreases very quickly from that edge (which may not even be in the picture).This is why I included the last comparison, the filter has a negligle effect for a bright sky if you want to properly expose the foreground (granted, my shot is pretty extreme). The final "bad" is in the "system" I am using. I bought 67-77mm and 72-77mm step up rings. The filter sticks in these frequently. I am getting better at not tightening it, but still, I can see it being an issue (I need to order a pair of filter wrenches). Also, I get a little vignetting with the step up rings.

After playing with it, I can see a real use and benefit. It does add to typical scenes and has a very nice effect. However, I was looking for something with more of an impact, with 2 stop lightreduction over more of the frame. Combine that with the step up ring issue, I can definitely see some advantages to the Lee or Cokin set ups for ND filters. But, no real regrets. And I will consider one of those other systems down the road a bit.

As for the B+W ND 106. I haven't played with it too much, other than to report that the7Dautofocus and exposure does work with it on.

Let me know if you have any questions or if there is a particular type of shot you'd be interested in.

Thanks,

Brant

I've been using the cokin p-series system. I have some Hitech grad filters and some Singh-Ray reverse grad filters. I've used the ND8 grad filter and then dialed it back in Lightroom. This gives me the most natural effect. I also use the 2-stop filter and it looks nice as well. It really makes the clouds and the sky pop. Also, you need to use a polarizer with the filter. So far, the best polarizers for me, seem to be the B+W KSM filter, or my personal favorite, the Marumi Super DHG (nice and thin).

I've seen the graduated filters used many times and have begun to notice the "shadowed" tops of mountains or such that the filter does. I prefer my shots to look more natural, like I don't use a filter. I've found that using the 3 stop filter and bringing it down one stop in lightroom achieves the more natural look and feel. And, don't even get me started on HDR. I use HDR on more difficult shots, but again, prefer it to not be noticeable.

I've also found that you can shoot the scene, exposing the sky correctly. Then, go into Lightroom and use the graduated filter upside down, and lighten up the foreground. It's impossible to repair a blown-out sky, but bringing the foreground up a couple of stops doesn't seem to hurt the photo. There is also a way of taking a piece of dark cloth and dragging it, like a curtain, upward to simulate a filter, in dire situations.

This is a low end B+W polarizer with a 3 stop Hitech filter in a Cokin P-series holder. I then brought it back one stop with the graduated filter in Lightroom.

This is a shot with an older B+W polarizer, a Hoya ND400 filter and the Cokin P-series filter holder with a 3-stop graduated Hitech filter. I've modified the holder slightly, otherwise I can see the little nubs of the Cokin P-series hood on the edges of the shot. The 9-stop ND filter really makes the waterfall creamy. Also, in the background, is an interstate highway full of cars whizzing by. With the use of the filter, they magically disappear...

Amazing clouds and skies really make the shot...

This is a B+W older polarizer, with a grad ND 3 stop filter, and then brought back a stop in lightroom.

You need to make sure that you have a great polarizer as well...

Capn Scott

This is the grad filter in Lightroom. I brought it down 2 stops, all the way to the water, then I imitated a reverse grad by bringing it back up 1/2 stop near the top. This keeps it still looking more natural, like your eye sees it. It still can't fix the blow-out in the sky, but it is a much better picture.

Try out the graduated filter in Lightroom first... It will get you hooked. When you use the physical filters, they give you a better histogram. It ends up being a nicely formed bump, right in the middle and a whole lot less work on the computer. Then, you can crank up the contrast a bit and make the shot really pop...

Capn Scott

Scott,

Great images (I especially like the #4 with the row of cherry trees) and thanks for the description to your approach. Aside from the vignetting issues at wider focal lengths, I can see combining filters working out well and it is something I will definitely try. Unfortunately, yesterday was the last day of sun for...oh...as long as they are forecasting here in New England. So, if they are right, the I won't have much of an opportunity for next 10 days.

Brant

As well as the grad filter works on a bright sunny day, it works even better to bring out the moodiness of an overcast sky...

This one was done in lightroom, before I received my present filters. After I learned about this technique in Lightroom, this is the shot that got me interested in the filters...

Capn Scott

Great comparisons everyone. There are definitely a quite a few possibilities for the filters. I have been looking into the BW stuff, but can

Hi Jayson,

Thanks for the suggestion. I