Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AF Micro Adjust

Re: AF Micro Adjust

Bob

I concider mine good if the fine detail around the eye is really detailed and sharp.

That said your not going to get it every time. The spot sensor covers a much bigger portion of the bird.

I see a little blur around the eyes but I am not looking on the home monitor and some detail may be lost in the posting. You probably can judge it better on your monitor.

A movement of 8 or 10 the bird should be oof.

When I first did my7d I thought it was way off, I ended up with a plus one

<span style="font-size: small;"]Thanks John and Rick,

<span style="font-size: small;"]Bob, I agree with you that their bodies do look sharper than their eyes. The eye looks prety good in the last one, nice photos by the way!

<span style="font-size: small;"]Ok.., I have 8 lenses (3 of which are zooms), 3 bodies, and 2 extenders. So.., that sounds like a lot of different combinations.

<span style="font-size: small;"]Perhaps someone will figure out how many combinations that is, and how long it's going to take me. [*-)]

<span style="font-size: small;"]Rich

Are the little boxes on the 1d series smaller than the 7d or are there just more of them to select? In other words, is the 7d spot focus similar in size to the 1d series regular focus square?
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

OK, After a few shots in the backyard this evening, I think my adjustments were near to close, and my technique was off on the previous shots. I started out with my previous adjustments of +6 and paid close attention to focusing on the eye---These shots were a little better than those without adjustment.

The following were with AF adjustments at +6, No post processing was done on any of these shots other than export from Lightroom to Jpeg

100% crop @ +6

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/12/7345.IMG_5F00_3322.jpg[/img]

Full frame @+6

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/12/5460.IMG_5F00_3323.jpg[/img]

100% @+6

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/12/6153.IMG_5F00_3339.jpg[/img]

full frame @+6

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/12/2475.IMG_5F00_3340.jpg[/img]

Full Frame @+6

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/12/6138.IMG_5F00_3375.jpg[/img]

100% Crop @+6

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/12/6470.IMG_5F00_3376.jpg[/img]

Full Frame No Adjustment

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/12/7318.IMG_5F00_3459.jpg[/img]

100% Crop No Adjustment

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/12/7563.IMG_5F00_3460.jpg[/img]

100% Crop No Adjustment

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/12/2627.IMG_5F00_3464.jpg[/img]

Full Frame No Adjustment

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/12/2248.IMG_5F00_3465.jpg[/img]

based on these shots and my opinion, it looks like the AF microadjustment of + 6 is pretty close. Please feel free offer your opinion

Thanks

Bob

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Lane

<span style="FONT-SIZE: small"]Thanks John and Rick,

<span style="FONT-SIZE: small"]Bob, I agree with you that their bodies do look sharper than their eyes. The eye looks prety good in the last one, nice photos by the way!

<span style="FONT-SIZE: small"]Ok.., I have 8 lenses (3 of which are zooms), 3 bodies, and 2 extenders. So.., that sounds like a lot of different combinations.

<span style="FONT-SIZE: small"]Perhaps someone will figure out how many combinations that is, and how long it's going to take me. [img]/emoticons/emotion-42.gif[/img]

<span style="FONT-SIZE: small"]Rich
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Better take a week off

Bob
    Bob

The first 3 birds eyes look very sharp, the last 2 birds a little less sharp. However, in the last shot the birds eye is shaded, so it

Quote Originally Posted by andnowimbroke
    Are the little boxes on the 1d series smaller than the 7d or are there just more of them to select? In other words, is the 7d spot focus similar in size to the 1d series regular focus square?

I do not know about the little square, but the sensor itself on the 1D IV covers more area than the 7D sensor (or at least it seems to). Thats why I switch the buttons on the end of the 500mm to the function that compresses the sensor size.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Williams

OK, After a few shots in the backyard this evening, I think my adjustments were near to close, and my technique was off on the previous shots. I started out with my previous adjustments of +6 and paid close attention to focusing on the eye---These shots were a little better than those without adjustment.

The following were with AF adjustments at +6, No post processing was done on any of these shots other than export from Lightroom to Jpeg

Bob

1st and 3rd one seem on. The 2nd and 4th not so much. The Last one is just not tight enough crop any way. All in all this seems pretty close to me.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Lane

<span style="font-size:small;"]Ok.., I have 8 lenses (3 of which are zooms), 3 bodies, and 2 extenders. So.., that sounds like a lot of different combinations.

<span style="font-size:small;"]Perhaps someone will figure out how many combinations that is, and how long it's going to take me.

Rich should the zooms count as 3 since you should check it wide middle and narrow?

I think the longest part for me with the lens align was the learning curve on how to read the scale quickly. At first I tried reading the exact center of focus, tried various ways to determine if it was front or back focused. I ended up with an average method that was very fast. I would take a series of 30 to 40 pictures in grey scale. Pull the card from the camera and down load to a folder that I named whatever the setting was at the time. Then I went through in adobe bridge at 100%. I found a number on top of the scale like that had just started going out of focus. Then one at the bottom that had just started. Then I would scroll through and just pick up on the numbers, if 20 was in focus on top and out on bottom of the scale it was back focus, you get the idea. I would give them like 1 star, for ff, on focus 2 star, 3 star back focus. Then once I went through them I just looked at the info on bridge and it told me how many of each I had. A typical pattern of a set might be 15 Front Focus 10 On Focus and 15 Back Focus, I would consider this lens to be calibrated.

When testing use an even consistent light. Variations in light change results.

But really do you think you have lenses that need calibration?

Rick

@all, Thanks for the look and the advice. I
    Bob