Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: AF Micro Adjust

Re: AF Micro Adjust

Just read an interesting article on AF micro adjust and tried the display pattern method----it seems to work very well for short focal length lenses in the house----could be a problem with longer lenses if you have to do it outside. anyway here is the article: thought some might find it interesting.

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/cameras/1ds3_af_micoadjustment.html
    Bob

Richard,

Just to complicate matters, I have found that my wide aperture primes (f/1.4 and f/1.2) and my 180mm macro all need a slightly different setting at their closest focus distance compared to the typical testing distance of 25 times focal length.

Of course, you can only register one adjustment per lens (or lens+extender combination) on each camera (that's 13 for your 1D and 14 for each 7D, so you'll have to write down the results somewhere if you find (unusually) a large variation in adjustment at different focal lengths and/or focusing distances.

So, when I check wider aperture lenses I will be sure to test them at their minimum focusing distances, as well as the recommended 25 times FL distance.

I didn

Thanks for the Link Rick!

I'll check it out thouroughly when I get home from work!

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Lane
    I didn't realize that there was a limit to the amount of lenses that you could register
    There is a limit of 20 lenses that you can register per camera (a lens plus extender counts as a separate lens for this purpose), so you won't need to worry about that limit for a while. I was just saying that you have only 13 combinations that will work with your 1D, and 14 combinations for each 7D. You can only register one adjustment per lens, so if you test a zoom lens at three different focal lengths and find that it requires three different adjustments, you'll have to choose one adjustment that suits the way you normally use the lens.

You might choose to do 21 tests with your 1D, but you'll only be able to register 13 values because you only have 13 lens and extender combinations for that camera.
    Last edited by Andy Stringer; 11-12-2011 at 05:33 PM.

Yes, Thank You Andy.

Well Undersrtood!