Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1D MK IV: AF Tracking and Skiing.

1D MK IV: AF Tracking and Skiing.

Here's a few shots form my Ski Trip to Killington, Vermont.

These are tracking head on at a pretty decent speed, which is usually difficult for a camera. These are obviously handheld while I'm on my own skis with my back facing down the mountain, with my skis in a reverse snow plow.

Last year, there were some reports of the MK IV having difficulty tracking head-on when a red color jersey was worn in bright sunlight.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-10048-10484-10500

Excerpt from the article:

"Two of those tops are shown in the downloadable runner sequences: blue (the PV singlet), and as you'll see, the results are good to great, plus red, where there is more than one instance of the dreaded EOS-1D Mark IV frontfocus shift. We shot other tops too, but it was really only the red that set off any alarm bells. Still, how the camera performed with the runner wearing the red top was not anywhere near as poor as in other more real world situations, such as sunny soccer."

The above article was written over a year ago, so it looks like Canon listened to their customers and they have appeared to improve/fix any problems that this body may have had initially.

Even, Bryan as mentioned in his review, had some sporadic results and inconsistent AF tracking early on, however he mentioned that Canon had addressed some initial concerns and that the MK IV was improved over time.

Here are a couple of other articles and testing regrading the Canon Mk IV.
    <div>http://www.prophotohome.com/news/2010/03/01/rob-galbraith-says-canon-1d-mkiv-auto-focus-still-unreliable-is-it-true-2/</div>

http://www.prophotohome.com/news/2010/03/01/autofocus-torture-test-updated-canon-1d-mkiv-nikon-d3s-added/

So.., I would just like to share some of my personal experiences so far.

The photos below look much better on Flickr, where the entire series may be viewed in sequential order. If you hit next button quickly once you're on the link, it looks like a slow motion movie.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53022431@N03/5611498895/in/set-72157626376005130/lightbox/

Although my testing wasn't as scientific as the others, I could comfortably say that in real world usage and in bright light with a red top, I am very pleased with the results.

Canon MK IV: 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II @f/4, 1/3200sec, ISO 200, CPL (No post processing and No cropping)

I started at 200mm and I zoomed out slowly to 70mm as my friend, the Skier was approaching me.

Thanks for viewing!

C&amp;C always welcome!

Rich

Re: 1D MK IV: AF Tracking and Skiing.

Here's another sample:

Full sequential set may be viewed below:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53022431@N03/5612093330/in/set-72157626376005130/lightbox/

Same as above:

Check out the date on the ski lift ticket! (he left that ticket on from last year.)

This is how I check out my AFMA! [:P]

Thanks for viewing!

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Lane
    This is how I check out my AFMA!

Rich

I think this takes care of 3 AFMA settings, now just 66 more to go and you have them all.

Nice Shots

Nice series Rich, the MarklV is a peerless action camera. But it has got to have someone skilled pushing the buttons.

Great shots.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Thank You Rick and Steve!

It

Wonderful series of shots, Rich! I

Thanks for the feedback "D", it

Rich, nice pics!

As a 7D owner, I am not sure I want to know the answer, but you recently posted two series of tracking pictures (both good BTW), one taken with the 7D and one taken with the 1D IV. Any thoughts or comments on how the two cameras performed?

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72

Rich, nice pics!

As a 7D owner, I am not sure I want to know the answer, but you recently posted two series of tracking pictures (both good BTW), one taken with the 7D and one taken with the 1D IV. Any thoughts or comments on how the two cameras performed?

Hey Brant,

Mucho Gracias!

At 3 times the price the MK IV has been blessed with a larger sensor, higher dynamic range,better contrast, thinner DOF, lower noise, faster frame rate, better weather sealing, a 2nd media card slot for back-ups on the fly, wider focal range, snappier auto-focus, more AF points (39 cross-type sensor points on the MK IV vs. 19 cross-type senor points on the 7D) , and a more advanced tracking algorithm that Canon calls AI Servo II.

When I saw the price of the MKIV drop to $4750 at newegg shipped, then I figured I would sell one of my 7D's, and apply that money towards the MK IV. So, I will be selling one of my 7D's within the next 2 weeks, however I sent it to Canon today for a focusing screen cleaning (some lint behind the focusing screen drives me nuts even though it doesn't affect the pictures), under warranty. I didn't want to sell something that was not 100% perfect. The sensor is perfectly clean though.

The 7D is 1/3 the price of the MKIV, but not 1/3 less effective, it is much smaller and lighter (if you don't have the battery grip mounted) which I see as an advantage when hiking, biking or traveling, it has the pop-up flash and longer reach too.

If I would rate them from 1-10, with 10 being the best. I would give the 7D an 8, and give the MKIV a 10.

I originally bought the MKIV for better low light performance at outdoor night games and for indoor Gyms, which is kind of ironic, because after one of my 4 football teams that I follow, made it deep into the playoffs then I was kind of burnt out, so I took the basketball season off. You know, this is only a fun hobby for me with some local sales and, now that I'm getting into the whole BIF thing, I'm getting out of the house more and going to preserves and parks, so it has really been a wonderful thing.

I was waiting for a FF Sports Camera form Canon, but it never happened. Nikon has the reputation of having a slight edge over Canon in regards to FF sports body, which is better in lower light, but I'm so invested in Canon and I loved the 7D so much, that I decided to just go for the MKIV and I am so absolutely in love with it.

Both bodies track very well in AI Servo and tracking priority. Both bodies take about a 1/2 sec (perhaps a little quicker with the MK IV) to lock focus and then they don't let go, but lets just say that the MKIV, holds onto the subject a little better, as it has more tracking points. I would say that when I do my job right and I'm paying attention to the action, then my keeper rate with the 7D is about 80%, and with the MKIV it is about 95%. By keepers, I'm not referring to award winning shots with perfect composition, but I am referring to sharp shots with good focus. I also use very fast lenses and very fast CF cards. I shot most sports with a monopod when it's feasible to do so. If I'm not doing what I should be doing and I miss the first shot and I don't recover, then usually the moment is lost and the entire burst may be ruined, but I blame that on user error, namely "me".

Both cameras also track very well, even when an obstruction gets in the way, as long as you have the tracking sensitivity set properly.

Another important consideration is to use fast f/2.8 lenses hopefully with enough reach, that you won't require an extender, and this is also easier achieved on the 7D, due to the longer reach.

I hope that helps!

Rich

Rich

I think you are dead on with your description. The 7D has only a few things over the 1D IV, a little over 30 hundred dollar bills left in your account if you get it instead of the 1D, it is a lot lighter and if for some odd reason you really wanted the 1.6 crop for a specific purpose you might want it.

I bought my 1D IV to go with the 500mm and I really like it. I thought about selling my 7D, but I have been thinking about outfitting it to use as a video camera and keep it.

Rick