Thread: 1D MK IV: AF Tracking and Skiing.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: 1D MK IV: AF Tracking and Skiing.

Rich,

Thanks for the detailed response. BTW, love all of the sequences, in particular, 4932. Great football shot with the two defenders converging on the runner. But I am really impressed that the 7D held onto the runner as well as it did as he made his way through the pack.

Thanks again,

Brant

Thanks Brant!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53022431@N03/5617421477/in/set-72157626368820155/lightbox/[/b]

You can take a look at one more concept, in #4921 the quaterbacks "back" and #4922 quaterbacks "left arm& ball" are in focus, then the runner emerges, #4923 and is soft because it takes the camera 0.5 sec to re-lock onto the runner and let go of the quarterback (you can sometimes do this faster by letting go of the Af-On button and re-lock the runner, or wait for the camera to do it automatically if the sensitivity is not set "too slow" , then once it does that, the next runner shots #4924 will start to be very sharp.

Some people will look at these and say, wow the 7D missed #4923 or the 7D is soft, when in actuality the camera did exactly what I have it set-up to do. If I wanted #4923 to be very sharp, then I would need to increase the AF tracking sensitivity to faster, this way the camera would let go of the quaterback sooner and lock onto the runner in #4923 faster and then it would be sharper, however then everytime a blocker or referee gets in the way of the subject (very common in football) that your tracking, then AF would move to the new subject and you would loose the main subject (not good in my opinion).

Since the MK IV has a higher burst rate I probably would of had 2 shots with the runner getting the ball and then I could discard the 1st one.

I just wanted to point out that the camera is doing what it is supposed to do.

Different sports will require different tracking sensitivities.

Rich

Rich,

Nice sequence. The grass does a great job showing the focal plane. #4923 the runner is just on the very edge of the focal plane while the QB is still in the middle.But as far as I am concerned, the 7D did a great job.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Lane

Different sports will require different tracking sensitivities.

This is something I haven't played with yet.Maybe I'll find some hawks and see how much influence the tracking sensitivity has on BIF.

Brant

Thanks Brant!

Just keep in mind that the "tracking sensitivity" will hold onto the subject longer with the slower setting (to ignore obstructions or if you lose your target for a couple of seconds) or it will let go of your current subject faster to lock onto the new subject, if you set the sensitivity to faster.

Also note that the "slow setting won't make the camera focus slower", it will focus just as fast no matter which sensitivity you select. If the sensitivity was set too slow and you would like to focus on a new target quicker, then you can take your finger off the focus button and re-focus on your new target.

Rich