Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Change of course... strobism?

Change of course... strobism?

Hey all,

For a long while I was thinking about selling my macro ring flash, the MR-14EX. It just didn't work for me and it was more of a burden to caryy than I enjoyed it, shortly said. I also tested with some off camera use of the 430 flash I have and did some side by side comparisons with the ringflash. Honestly I liked the 430 flash off camera even more... It worked really good, so I knew what I wanted, a macro bracket! So I could make an off camera set-up.

I ended up with a Manfrotto 330B and a Lumiquest Softbox 2. A small softbox which can be places directly onto the flash. I must say I'm pretty pleased with the lighting set-up I have for my macro work right now.

Anyway, the real debate was about how to spend the other part of the money. I obviously could have made a big post called: "Wallet full of ten dollar bills" , but although I appreciate some good opinions, I'm a really impulsive guy so I already decided before I posted[:P]

My first thought was to buy the 1.4x extender to use on my 70-200 and with my macro work. However I'm pretty pleased with my 70-200 as it is right now, so it would have been for macro purposes 9/10 times.

My other thought was to look into an 85mm 1.8 or another sort of lens, but to be honest I'm happy with the lenses I have.

Then I talked about it with my brother for and he was very enthousiastic about strobism, a form of photography I'm not really into. However it made me think about it and I checked a few sites and got enthousiastic myself as well.

So there it happened, I invested the money in something I never expected to be inveting in: strobism!

I ended up buying a Lightstand (Jinbei JB-300), an umbrella-bracket/adapter or whatever it is called (Manfrotto 026 Lite-Tite Swivel adapter), a 42" umbrella (Westcott 42" White/Black) and a 28" Wescott Apollo Softbox.

That afternoon my brother, my girlfriend and I took some testphotos and I really like the results. Here are 2 photos:

Anyway I'm really starting to like this, so I guess you could expect some different shots from me now []

Thanks, Jan

Re: Change of course... strobism?

I

Sean leave him alone, you'll have him buying Genus filters and trpod lamps next.[]

Steve
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Nice shots by the way Jan, cold feet, is she suffering for your art?
    Steve U

Very nice shots, Jan!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve U

Sean leave him alone, you'll have him buying Genus filters and trpod lamps next.[img]/emoticons/emotion-2.gif[/img]

Steve
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

...and monolights, smart triggers, softboxes, octaboxes, beauty dishes, grids, gels, power packs, ...

I know, I know, you filled a whole room with gear to take a shot of a lamp.

It is a nice lamp and the lighting is exquisite, but your standard is too high. We are all going to have to build another room just for the lighting kit we need to keep up with you.
    Steve U

Quote Originally Posted by Steve U
    We are all going to have to build another room just for the lighting kit we need to keep up with you.

Nah, just take it outside[]
    Bob

Jan, Congrats on a great choice for your spending. But beware, its addictive. There are so many things you can do with a lighting setup. I started using my flash last year when I took an interest in hummingbirds. I went from one flash taped to pvc stuck in a Christams tree stand---Now I have 3 flashes, 4 pocket wizards, stand, umbrella and fixing to buy more stands and a boom and maybe a softbox; and I don
    Bob

[:$] Ummmm ...Anyone wanna buy a beauty dish!? [:P]