Thread: Tips on the EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS USM

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Tips on the EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS USM

LOL, my tip would be keep doing what you

Bluesman, I have had this lens for about 3 years and I would suggest a couple of things:

First: check your AF @ 400mm and adjust if neccessary, my 100-400 has focused differently on all of the bodies I have owned

Second: Use support, tripod is best, but a monopod may be what you need at a venue like Nascar.

finally, consider a Circular polarizer, but weigh the option carefully, you may need the extra light to keep your shutter speed up.

Hope this helps,

Bob
    Bob

Bluesman; sorry for the tardiness of this answer, but I just got back home. So first off, I hope you had a good time and got a lot of good shots at the race.

Secondly, like Bob, I've owned the 100-400 for a few years now and I agree w/Bob, except w/keeping the shutter speed up for car racing.

I've shot a few auto racing events and discovered after my first event I parked the cars, i.e. the shutter speed I used (too fast) stopped the rotation of the wheels making the car look static. I now use shutter speeds (roughly) between 1/60 and 1/125 w/f stops 10 and higher. I've had good luck w/great weather....I haven't had to shoot a race in low light conditions which aren't the best conditions for the 100-400.

Example; Lime Rock CT, 40D, 1/60th, f14, panning handheld.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/600x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/26/6366.52-Mustang.jpg[/img]

I know this info is late, but hopefully it will help in the future or maybe you know this already...the 100-400 is a great lens for this type of venue.

Post some shots Bluesman.

Regards

Bill