Thread: Tips on the EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS USM

Tips on the EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS USM

Does any one have any tips on using this lens. I rented the EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS USM for the weekend to take to the NASCAR races at Talladega Alabama on saturday & sunday. In the past i have used the EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM + the 1.4 TC & occasionally the 2 TC. This time i would like to have a litte more reach and better image quality. I'll be sitting in the lower part of the upper grandstands, weather is going to be mostly sunny in the low 70's. The cars can be going near 200 MPH but they wont be that close most of the time as the track is a 2 1/2 mile tri oval, so they dont move as fast as you would think except when they are right in front of you. I'll be sitting in the middle of the tri oval and the closest would be approximately 200 feet or more. I have passes to pre race pit road, driver introductions and the hospitality Tents and will be taking my EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM for closer photos.
    Any advice would be welcomed. Here is a photos i took back in 2009 @ 280mm.

Re: Tips on the EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS USM

LOL, my tip would be keep doing what you

Bluesman, I have had this lens for about 3 years and I would suggest a couple of things:

First: check your AF @ 400mm and adjust if neccessary, my 100-400 has focused differently on all of the bodies I have owned

Second: Use support, tripod is best, but a monopod may be what you need at a venue like Nascar.

finally, consider a Circular polarizer, but weigh the option carefully, you may need the extra light to keep your shutter speed up.

Hope this helps,

Bob
    Bob

Bluesman; sorry for the tardiness of this answer, but I just got back home. So first off, I hope you had a good time and got a lot of good shots at the race.

Secondly, like Bob, I've owned the 100-400 for a few years now and I agree w/Bob, except w/keeping the shutter speed up for car racing.

I've shot a few auto racing events and discovered after my first event I parked the cars, i.e. the shutter speed I used (too fast) stopped the rotation of the wheels making the car look static. I now use shutter speeds (roughly) between 1/60 and 1/125 w/f stops 10 and higher. I've had good luck w/great weather....I haven't had to shoot a race in low light conditions which aren't the best conditions for the 100-400.

Example; Lime Rock CT, 40D, 1/60th, f14, panning handheld.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/600x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/26/6366.52-Mustang.jpg[/img]

I know this info is late, but hopefully it will help in the future or maybe you know this already...the 100-400 is a great lens for this type of venue.

Post some shots Bluesman.

Regards

Bill