Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I just completely lost interest in buying Canon lenses

I just completely lost interest in buying Canon lenses

I was torn between Canon 70-200mm f/4L IS that everyone is raving about, or Canon 70-300 f/4-5.6 L that would go the extra 100mm.. I wanted to put the order in today, and so I was flipping between the interviews about the two lenses. Then I came to the part of 70-300mm review I've been passing, that mentioned that the tripod mount ring is optional (On an L-lens that goes to 300mm!!!!!). Well, before I put in the order, I thought, I'll just check how much extra would it be to use that lens on a tripod --- on Amazon.com: TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY DOLLARS.

I don't think so, Canon.

I just felt the interest in spending any money on Canon glass run out! Maybe I'll come back later and reconsider, but I know for sure that I will never want to even consider the 70-300mm again.

Re: I just completely lost interest in buying Canon lenses

I am with you 100% on principle but that that lens is just over 2 lbs and has 4-stop IS. Do you really think you

I recently mounted a 40D with my friend
    My Flickr page
    Canon Eos 1DIII, Canon Eos 20D, Canon Eos T3i, Canon Eos M, Canon EF 400mm f5.6L, Canon EF 300mm f4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f2.8L IS II, Canon EF 180mm f3.5L macro, EF Canon 24-70mm f2.8L, Canon EFs 60mm f2.8, Canon EF 50mm f1.4, Canon EF 50mm f2.5 compact macro, Canon EF 40mm f2.8, Canon EF-M 22mm f2, Canon 430EX II

I am going to university in Finland, and looking forward to my first summer with midnight twilight... That means nature shots in very low light, and the camping wilderness I

FWIW, the tripod mount is optional on both the lenses that you mention - neither the 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS nor the 70-200mm f/4L IS include a tripod mount (only the f/2.8 versions of the 70-200mm zooms include the tripod collar).

I understand your feelings of disgust completely.

Is there a third party option? Opteka

Let

B&H has the ring for $189.95

On this lens I can understand why they do not put it on. Its a compact lens and a lot of shooters would never even use it.

For those that wouldn

I can live without the ring. Unfortunately, I cannot find an alternative to the canon lens All the Tamrons, Sigmas and Tokina 80-400 left me wanting, and I guess I never truly wanted to consider any of them. I wish I could get Nikons with Canon mount

I started this thread because I wanted to draw attention to the price of the ring, and the fact that Canon is creating a negative aura among the customers who are willing to pay the premium of L-glass, and I am not sure that is worth the money make by selling a few tripod mounts. My initial reaction was that since Canon hoods and Canon tripod mounts are this outrageously overpriced, then the same is probably true for their white glass, and it must be at least worth checking to see what else is out there. I didn

You can't get a Nikon lens with a Canon Mount but you can get adapters. Cinevate @ B&H
    Brett