Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nashville Strobist Meetup Images: Opinions Needed

Re: Nashville Strobist Meetup Images: Opinions Needed

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk
    I thought 1 had the most potential. I really liked it for the content and set up, but there seems to be something lacking and I can't lay my finger on it.

I liked it too, at first., as I like the overall composition and lighting. But the more I looked at it, the moreI didn't like the position of the model. Had her back been resting against the banister, I think it would look more comfortable/natural. The pose almost looks like she was caught in between positions (getting up or sitting down).

EDIT: Sean I suppose what bothers me with #1 is that you have a Stairs with a Model sitting there. Rather than a Model sitting on Stairs. The stairs are to over powering to set her apart.

She does blend into the stairs a fair amount...I can see that being part of it.

Of course, I say all of this never having photographed models or worked with"strobism" muchbefore....so, apply grains of salt freely. []

Senior Member nvitalephotography's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72
    I liked it too, at first., as I like the overall composition and lighting. But the more I looked at it, the moreI didn't like the position of the model. Had her back been resting against the banister, I think it would look more comfortable/natural. The pose almost looks like she was caught in between positions (getting up or sitting down).

I agree with this, but unlike most people on here, I still rank #1 as my favorite, but of course I tend to like portraits shots that have a bit of environment to interact with.

I also like #6 a lot but agree that the background could benefit from being a touch lighter.

#3 as most people are saying is one of the best too, followed by #9.

Overall though, I think they are all great.

Nick

Of course, I say all of this never having photographed models or worked with"strobism" muchbefore....so, apply grains of salt freely.

This is like major league sports, those of us who can't do it can sit on the sidelines and criticize ....[:P]

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters

I'm surprised at how much love #3 and #6 are getting. I caught them in my second round of edits (having passed over them the first time). I honestly thought #1 would be an overall favorite, but I couldn't have been more wrong. Quite "illuminating" results so far...
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Hi Sean,

I had another look and while I put number1 in my top 5, the thing that distracts me is her right leg disappearing into the shadows and it seems to be slightly sideways. And the black stockings seem a little of place with the feel of the photo.

When I hold up a piece of paper and cut her legs out of the picture, the composition become a lot more pleasing. And becomes my favourite shot.

Nice work.

Steve
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Sean,

At first look #1 was my favorite. I love a good staircase shot but the more I look the less I like it. I think it is the pose but not sure what I would do different. #2 is my second favorite. I like the soft shadows. #5 is my favorite. I love the soft back light.

All are fantastic.

thanks for sharing.

Mark
    Mark

I like 2 for the pose, and 6 for the lighting setup.. (well, I like them all, but these one the most)

Can you post the setup for number 6, the way you used different strobes?

Of course, I say all of this never having photographed models or worked with"strobism" muchbefore....so, apply grains of salt freely.

This is like major league sports, those of us who can't do it can sit on the sidelines and criticize ....[img]/emoticons/emotion-4.gif[/img]
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

[]Hmmmmmmmmm....if that is the case....COME ON SEAN, SMOKE ANOTHER SHOT RIGHT IN THERE!!! [:P]

Quote Originally Posted by Pieter
    Can you post the setup for number 6, the way you used different strobes?

For #6 I used a White Lightning Ultrazap 1600, camera left, diffused by a 16" Ebay beauty dish with a grid in place. A 580EX II shot through an umbrella was providing a touch of fill camera right.

Thanks to everyone