Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: USB 3.0

Alan

Re: USB 3.0

If anyone is interested, I get about 60 Mb/sec transfer with the USB 3.0 Delkin card reader, coupled to a PCI express card.

Lightning fast, compared to USB 2.0.

Though, 2.0 is fine, too, as long as you grab a cup of coffee, and don't give a rat's patoot about the time savings.

My next PC will have 3.0, though.

Alan

That's definitely interesting Alan. At this point I'm still using the cmaera's USB connection. I guess that with a USB3 card reader, downloading 32GB, will go a lot faster than it does now [A] Will see if there's a cheap one available here, else I will wait a bit longer and I will grab a cup of coffee along the way []

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span lang="EN-US" style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri;"]All<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span lang="EN-US" style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US;"]<o><span style="font-family: Calibri; font-size: small;"]</o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span lang="EN-US" style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri;"]There is no mention of what you used to determine the speed of transfer. There is a link to an excellent benchmarking tool (ATTO Disk Benchmark) for memory cards. Give this a go and post the resulting graph.<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span lang="EN-US" style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US;"]<o><span style="font-family: Calibri; font-size: small;"]</o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span lang="EN-US" style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US;"]http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/1749/ATTO_Disk_Benchmark_v2.46.html<o></o>

<span lang="EN" style="font-family: 'Tahoma','sans-serif'; color: #cccccc; font-size: 10pt; mso-ansi-language: EN; mso-fareast-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA;"]
    Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105L, EF 50 f1.2L, EF 70-300L, 430EX.

"Criticism is something you can easily avoid, by saying nothing, doing nothing and being nothing." -
    Tara Moss

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Raid
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span style="mso-ansi-language:EN-US;" lang="EN-US"]<span style="font-family:Calibri;font-size:small;"]
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span style="mso-ansi-language:EN-US;" lang="EN-US"]<span style="font-size:small;"]<span style="font-family:Calibri;"]There is no mention of what you used to determine the speed of transfer.

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span style="mso-ansi-language:EN-US;" lang="EN-US"]<span style="font-family:Calibri;font-size:small;"]

<span style="font-family:'Tahoma','sans-serif';color:#cccccc;font-size:10pt;mso-ansi-language:EN;mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri;mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin;mso-fareast-language:EN-US;mso-bidi-language:AR-SA;" lang="EN"]

True. It was a rough, qualitative method.

Total Gb of images divided by time (stop watch).

Is it perfect? No, but it comes close.

I think what I was trying to point out was USB 3 is faster. Whether it was 60 Mb/s, 58 Mb/s or 62 Mb/s, it really doesn't matter.

Compared to 2.0, it's way faster.

Hi Alan

The tool I provided you a link to is ideal for letting you know if you are getting the best out of your system.

The attached image is the result of Scandisk 16GB Ultra CF card (30MBs). As you can see I can only get 25MBs out of my PC even though its a very fast machine.

The beauty of this method is that you can make changes (CF card, USB reader etc) and find out where your system limitations are.

[IMG][View:http://i1046.photobucket.com/albums/b466/Gollum4242/Test%20Images/16GBSandiskUltra.jpg][/IMG]

"Criticism is something you can easily avoid, by saying nothing, doing nothing and being nothing." -
    Tara Moss

I get close to 60 MB/s transfers (using Sandisk 60 MB/s cards) with an ExpressCard/34 CF reader on my Mac. I might try Thunderbolt when CF readers become easily available.

Alan

RAID, thanks. That's an interesting tool.

John, that's as fast as my upgraded reader and card. I'll be watching for the results for Thunderbolt, too. Thanks.

Here are my results with a Transcend 400x 32GB CF-card (60MB/s write, 90MB/s read says the official box) and a Pretec P240 USB 3.0 Multi Card-reader:

I also tested transferring 1GB of RAW files to the card and measured the time this took with a stopwatch and it took ~31 seconds to write the images (31MB/s) and ~13 seconds to read them back to my computer (77MB/s) so the actual real world performance compares pretty well to the benchmarks. Interesting to note how ATTO is faster at writing than CrystalDiskMark or real world Windows file copying. Might be that my 7D is also closer to the 60MB/s write speed that the Transcend card promises when writing images.

My relevant PC specs are as follows: Intel 2600K @ 4Ghz, Asus P8P67-M Pro, 16GB of RAM, Intel 320 128GB SSD and Windows 7 x64

qwRad

That&rsquo;s very impressive performance. My transfer rate is both limited by the card (30MBs) and the card reader (USB2). I have never seen USB2 reader get above the high 30&rsquo;s, which make sense as nobody can get 480Mbs (or even close).

If you still have your USB2 reader how does the card perform there?

ATTO Benchmark was recommended to me by the ScanDisk Forum. They use the results to determine of the card is legitimate or counterfeit because it does push the card/interface.

Tara Moss

Here are the results from USB 2.0, on the left the P240 USB3 reader in an USB 2.0 port and on the right my old Fuj:tech HDD-dock/Multi-card reader:

My old reader clearly is the bottleneck here but I really wouldn't expect it to be that slow since it works pretty well with HDDs I can plug to it. Anyways the Pretec USB3 reader shows USB2 bandwidth fully saturated. Interesting to note the read speed is a bit faster than the write even though write in USB3 port was higher..