Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: USB 3.0

Alan

USB 3.0

My PC is "old" enough not to have a USB 3.0 connection. But, even if I installed a PCI card to adapt the motherboard to such a connection, won

Re: USB 3.0

I don

Quote Originally Posted by Alan
    My PC is "old" enough not to have a USB 3.0 connection.

Lol, you're really really behind then [:O]

But, even if I installed a PCI card to adapt the motherboard to such a connection, won't the PCI buss limit the transfer speed anyway?

Nah not even close. Assuming you have PCI-express(not the old PCI), a PCI-E x 1 slot would already be fast enough to handle USB3.

This link might clear a bit: link

Do you have any new USB 3 devices by the way? Another fast solution for external HDD for example is e-Sata (which in combination with Sata 600 is even faster than USB 3).

The best thing about USB 3 is that it can also power your external HDD. (up to 2,5" disks if I'm correct)

Jan

wow. my desktop still has USB 1.0. Data transfer FAIL.
    R6 II --- RF 14-35mm f/4L IS --- RF 24-105mm f/4L IS --- RF 100-400mm F5.6-8 IS
    70D --- EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 --- EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS --- EF 70-200mm f/4L IS --- EF 85mm f/1.8

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Paalman

But, even if I installed a PCI card to adapt the motherboard to such a connection, won't the PCI buss limit the transfer speed anyway?

Nah not even close. Assuming you have PCI-express(not the old PCI), a PCI-E x 1 slot would already be fast enough to handle USB3.

Yes, it would be fast enough to "handle" usb 3, but the question was whether the card would limit the usb 3. I'm pretty ignorant about computers and technology and such things (so correct me if I am wrong), but I thought USB 3.0 was supposed to be like 5 gbps. According to your link, a single connection pci express x1 slot is only 2.5 gbps.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Paalman

Do you have any new USB 3 devices by the way? Another fast solution for external HDD for example is e-Sata (which in combination with Sata 600 is even faster than USB 3).
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Well, I'm even further back than that, since none of my PCI slots are PCI-express. All the old style PCI connections. I guess it's a lot like working with stone knives and bear skins. []

I do have a slot being taken up by a dual port eSATA, for a couple of docking stations. Maybe I can find a card that will have both eSATA and USB 3.0.

Edit: I spoke too soon about the PCI slots. After looking past all the dust bunnies, there was one. Occupied with something I never use.

Quote Originally Posted by alex

Dang, Alex... I was embarrassed by my c2quad q6600 still running DDR2 ram... I don't feel quite so bad anymore! [:P]
    5D mark III, 50D, 17-40 f4L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L ​IS, 28 f1.8, 50 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 100 f2.8 Macro

Yeah Dave, my desktop is an HP from 2002. XP, 1.4GHz pentium 3? i
    R6 II --- RF 14-35mm f/4L IS --- RF 24-105mm f/4L IS --- RF 100-400mm F5.6-8 IS
    70D --- EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 --- EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS --- EF 70-200mm f/4L IS --- EF 85mm f/1.8

1.4GHz pentium 3?

Wow...

they're both IDE. I don't even know if you can buy those anymore.

Yeah... you can still buy them on the EGG... I know that much.

Needless to say, I need to a new desktop sometime in the next year or two. :P

Definitely, sir. This time, BUILD!!! [Y]
    5D mark III, 50D, 17-40 f4L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L ​IS, 28 f1.8, 50 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 100 f2.8 Macro

I bet you don't really like computers then do you? [:P]

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Ruyle

Yes, it would be fast enough to "handle" usb 3, but the question was whether the card would limit the usb 3. I'm pretty ignorant about computers and technology and such things (so correct me if I am wrong), but I thought USB 3.0 was supposed to be like 5 gbps. According to your link, a single connection pci express x1 slot is only 2.5 gbps.

Honestly, I have no clue Jon. I don't know what's the difference between single and dual directions is. Nonetheless I checked quite some producers of USB 3 PCI-E*1 adapters and they all claim to get up to 5Gb/s, so it "seems" (marketing or not) that the 5GB/s on PCI-Ex1 should be gettable...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Johnston

1.4GHz pentium 3?

Wow...

+1 [:P] I have a quadcore running at 4.2Ghz...[:P]

they're both IDE. I don't even know if you can buy those anymore.

Yeah... you can still buy them on the EGG... I know that much.

Yep just like DDR2, some companies still offer them. I have even seen newly developed DDR2 lately. Don't think they are getting high salesrates though...

Needless to say, I need to a new desktop sometime in the next year or two. :P

Definitely, sir. This time, BUILD!!! [img]/photography_gear1/emoticons/emotion-21.gif[/img]

Yea build it yourself! It's actually quite enjoyable to build one as well. And just like with camera's and lenses, you're never done upgrading, so watch your wallet [A]