Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: To All Our Friends in the Southern States ...

Re: To All Our Friends in the Southern States ...

You can bet I will be keeping a close eye on the radar and all the watches and warnings as these storms move through North Carolina this afternoon.

No EXIF data included, the sign speaks for itself. Taken in December of 2009 while Greensburg was still in the rebuilding phase.

May 4th 2007, was the date of their tornado, 11 people lost their lives. 205 mph winds.

My wife was just a half mile away from the May 3rd 1999 tornado, in Moore OK, 301 mph winds, the foundations of houses were swept clean. To this day she panics every time the sirens sound.

Our families prayers are withthose that were devastated last week, and things do eventually get better after the storm passes.

[View:http://community.the-digital-picture...neric/utility/]

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk

My wife was just a half mile away from the May 3rd 1999 tornado, in Moore OK, 301 mph winds, the foundations of houses were swept clean. To this day she panics every time the sirens sound.

When I was about 10 years old we were hit by a Tornado while in our car driving up to our cabin in central Minnesota. It was an eye opening experience that gave me a whole new respect for Mother Nature. For years after that experience I would be the first to the basement whenever the sirens sounded.
    Now I live in a rural area where there are no such things as Tornado warning sirens. Instead the sirens are used for the Volunteer Fire Departments. It took me forever to get used to that and whenever the sirens would sound I would be looking to the sky. Besides, we don't have basements here anyways, too close to sea level; All we can do is hope for the best.
    Tornado's still scare the hell out of me whenever they are in the area. But that's not to say I won't try to capture a picture given the chance.

Saturday April 16th was the first time in years my level of anxiety had been so high during any storms. Tornado warnings all around, and not just the brief little EF0 or EF1 that are typical around here. What made it worse is that one of the EF3 tornado's came awfully close to my youngest daughters and her baby. Close enough they were picking up debris from destroyed homes just down the road from them, and she doesn't live to far from our home.

This year has only just begun. We are just getting into severe weather / tornado season around most of the country, And we have yet to even start the Hurricane season. Can't wait to see what that will be like if this early tornado season is any kind of indicator.

I have been thru two tornadoes. One when I was at an outdoor "Country Thunder" concert in Twin Lakes, WI, July 1997. That one came right at the stage and campgrounds. That one I thought for sure I wasn't going to live thru. Out in the middle of a huge farm field with EVERYTHING from the concert & campgrounds flying everywhere, if the tornado didn't kill me, I thought for sure something else flying thru the air would!

The other was just three years ago, while I was at work one ripped thru just down the road from us and didn't about $20mil worth of damage to surrounding homes, business and barns. That one was in the dead of winter, January 2008.

The weather used to be so much more predictible ...snow in winter, rainy weather in spring, hot & humid in summer and beautiful colors in the fall. Now, I've had a tornado in winter and snow in the spring. The weather sure is changing and it most definitely isn't for the better.

I am afraid of what the next few months holds for everyone!

Denise

Denise,

"just two years ago,..." "That one was in the dead of winter, January 1997." Is that two dog years, but in reverse? []

Checked with all my family in Birmingham, and they are okay. No injuries or property damage. Very fortunate. Now we will cross our fingers for hurricane season down here on the Gulf Coast. That season kicks off around the first of June.

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Springer

"just two years ago,..." "That one was in the dead of winter, January 1997." Is that two dog years, but in reverse? [img]/emoticons/emotion-1.gif[/img]

Wow ...did some editing to my post, and the dates are correct now! I got the two mixed up and then realized its been three yrs. already not two! Trying to do to many things here at once. Cook dinner, edit photos from today, read posts and do my own posting! I'd better narrow it down to at least two things at the same time or I'm going to be eating a burnt dinner ..but heck at least my photos will look good! [:P]

Glad to hear Sean and family are safe-----In keeping with tradition, Sean has educated us once more---now we all know why everyone should have two full bathrooms and a big pelican case.[I]

Again Sean, glad you, Amber and your gear are safe.

Bob
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by clemmb

We are in a drought in south Texas.[img]/emoticons/emotion-46.gif[/img] We need rain really bad.[img]/emoticons/emotion-37.gif[/img] Sure wish we could balance this rain out so we were not so dry and y'all so wet.

Glad you guys are safe.[img]/emoticons/emotion-1.gif[/img]

Mark
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Perhaps if we just cut a trench from the Mississippi to the Baja we could solve both problems[B]
    Bob