Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Still learning

Still learning

Feel free to critique me. I just finished reading Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson which has helped me alot, but I'm always open to more help. I took these with my Canon Rebel XS.

18-55 mm lens - F/5.6, 1/300 at 55 mm.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/550x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/8080.Hanging-Rock-085.jpg[/img]

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/550x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/2671.Hanging-Rock-084.jpg[/img]

18-55 mm lens - F/5.6, 1/400 at 35 mm -----^

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/550x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/6545.IMG_5F00_1590.JPG[/img]

55-250 mm lens- F/5.6, 1/2000 at 250 mm ------^

Tell me what you think! Thanks!

Senior Member nvitalephotography's Avatar

Re: Still learning

I like the second one a lot. nice composition.

The first shot is rather overexposed, but that is an easy issue to fix next time.

I also like the composition of the last one but think all the reflection off the water is a bit to distracting. I think something like a polarizer to cut the glare down would help the image.

Welcome to the community

ISO ?

Flash on the first one? The highlights on the flower middle were completly blown out.

Seoncd one looks great.

I think the third looks good, provided the silouete look is what you are going for, and you wanted the water reflection to be so blown out. That wasn't being critical, I think the picture works like it is.

@ Vitale - Thank you for the advice on the polarized filter, I

GHicks

On the first picture, if you shoot in RAW and you use DPP, you could take the exposrue down a bit and try taking the highlight down as well to salvage #1. Sometimes the detail will be there and you will be able to salvage it.

I was completely unaware of that. haha. I

GHicks, welcome to the forum. your 3rd shot is my favorite.

For the first shot, you could have also tried using Center-weighted or spot metering (not sure if the XS has spot metering) to achieve proper exposure on the flower. Happy shooting..

Damian

Damian, thank for the advice. I have been looking more into center-weighted metering. The XS does have spot metering but it will take me some time to get the hang of it.

You can also try using your exp comp control to fine tune things if you want.

Welcome G, we are always "still learning," and i respect those who toss out images for crtiques. especially those critiques coming from the likes of fellow-amateurs like myself.

You definitely have a good eye, as the compositions of the images are all strong. overexposure seems to be the common theme in them, so consider dropping ISO down to 100 (or 160 for Canon purists if you buy the hype), and use your exp compensation dial as DLS just stated. Without polarizers or filters, you may want to avoid shooting directly towards the sun. Moving your axis even 45 degrees away can help with this.

I particularly like the way you composed the seabird photo. moving about 5 steps to the right and closer to the water may have helped from having the sky blown out. regardless, i think it works fine the way it is now. but if that photo were taken by a "pro," we