Thread: Does anybody have experience with the Pocket Wizard Mini/Flex system?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Does anybody have experience with the Pocket Wizard Mini/Flex system?

I am looking to update my cybersync system to something that can handle off camera TTL and recently discovered the Pocket Wizard Mini/Flex setup. I have read about some of the RF interference problems with them with the 580exII, and am wondering first off if the sock (AC5) fixes the problem.

Also, does anybody have any experience using Canon's infrared system outside in the early evening? I am wondering if I should just stick to canon's system and pick up a few more flashes instead of dropping the dough on the PW system.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Re: Does anybody have experience with the Pocket Wizard Mini/Flex system?

Quote Originally Posted by realityinabox

I am looking to update my cybersync system to something that can handle off camera TTL and recently discovered the Pocket Wizard Mini/Flex setup. I have read about some of the RF interference problems with them with the 580exII, and am wondering first off if the sock (AC5) fixes the problem.

I posted this in another thread a while back. I bought a set about a month or so ago:

A 580ex II test with the new Pocket Wizards:

In regard to using the pocket wizard with the 580ex II and RF interference. I received my new PW yesterday, so this morning I headed out to check this out.

At about 45' without using the provided sock (AC5) for protection on the 580ex II the PW's would stop receiving signal. 45' was the limit for this part of the test.

I put the AC5 sock on, it did not miss until I got out to 360', for about another 40' it would flash only randomly then after that none at all. 360' seems to be the acceptable limit in the test I did using the sock with the 580ex II.

The Pocket Wizards had an unobstructed line of site between them. They were probably 5 feet off the ground. It was a windy semi overcast day.

I have noticed nothing in the early evenings.

hawk,

awesome. It is stuff like this I need to hear. I feel like the internet searches drudge up the horror stories and not the typical experience. I shoot mostly portraits, so I can

You might go and skim this old thread. There is alot posted there:

community.the-digital-picture.com/.../51346.aspx

You know the 580 EXII does a fine job of TTL communication with its IR system

For times when I want to use radio I am presently using these

www.amazon.com/.../ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_3

I have used other systems but to use radio TTL involves me adjusting the seettings on the 580II and I found my self so distracted that I and my subject got distracted. SIMPLE IS BETTTER. I use my off camera flash in the manual mode and walk over to change the seettings, this is so much easier than stuggling with a screen, at least Im not lookng down at my camera for extended periods of time.

These cowboys are great, simple and they work. They also act as remote triggers

The Pocket wizzard was my first choice but after misfires and price, and read the web site of pocket wizard on the 580exII problem

for those of use with 580EXII I find the cowboys the best solution.

I got 3 580EXII and two sets of cowboys, price is <$50

Heading to the camera shop is a little while. Going to ask them if we can go out into the parking lot and test the 580exII

I started using PWs (flex/mini)last year for shooting humming birds---so most of my shots were at very close range, no more than20 feet-----But they performed flawlessly. I used them with a 7D,one 580 exII and two manual vivitar flashes-----Most of my experience is with manual mode only, so I can't really comment on the ETTL function other than a few shots of my cats, and in that regard they worked perfectly with the 580 exII. I liked them so much I went out and bought 2 more and another flash---as kkl7040 said, once you start using them you tend to want to buy more stuff to satisfy your strobist appetite.

One other nice thing, if you don't mind shooting manual sometimes, you can buy inexpensive but decent flashes rather than expensive Canon flashes and PWs work just fine.

Personaly, I really like my pw's and would recommend them to anyone interested.

Good luck,

Bob
    Bob