Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM Lens Review

Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM Lens Review

Discuss theSigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM Lens Review - tell us what you think of theSigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM Lens.

Re: Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM Lens Review

Thanks, Bryan!

My favorite part of the review is the bokeh comparison. It

Bryan,

In you review you have one typo

"portraits are the first use that that came to my mind when acquiring this lens"

Mark
    Mark

Thanks Mark - I

I
    Canon 450D Gripped, Canon 24-105 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM II, Sigma 10-20 EX f/4-5.6, Canon S95

“There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.” -Ansel Adams

Bryan,

Another very detailed and informative review as always. Maybe I

Great review Bryan. It looks like a great lens and if it had fitted my bag, you'll never know[]

There's one thing that bugs me a bit though: the review is about the Sigma 85mm 1.4, but the Canon 1.2 is always first in the comparison shots. I personally think it would make more sense if the Sigma is on top, so the first photos you look at are always from the Sigma.

A non-aware person that quickly scrolls down the review to see some detail-shots might mistake the Canon's with the Sigma photo's.

Despite that, I think you delivered a great review!

Jan

Ps: it's also quite funny/enjoyable to see the girl grow-up every new review [] it reminds me about the people who take a self-portrait every day and compose a movie with it. Enjoyable [Y]

Thanks for the feedback everyone - it is always appreciated.

Jan - Thanks for the suggestion. I was thinking that it would be easier to compare the Sigma with the other lenses if it were positioned between them. The positioning would be very easy to change if this was not a good idea.

Perhaps you can win the Think Tank Photo bag (see today

thank you very much Bryan for an excellent review (and resource - this site is my most trusted reference which i consult before any purchase). I've owned the Sigma 85 since the start of Christmas and found the comparison of the bokeh fascinating.

i too have not had the inconsistent focus issues you reported - my lens did front focus out of the box, but after being micro-adjusted it focuses absolutely fine - as well and accurately as any canon lens i own.

what i would find interesting, is just how the canon 85L would track the moving horses at f1.2 or f1.4 ? i imagine servo focussing at such a wide aperture is very taxing for the camera body and lens to accomplish - it would be interesting to see how the canon lens does in this regard.

when you look at the iso crops it does look like 'on paper' that the sigma lens is sharper overall across the frame, but somehow, the 85L does have something magical about it. a really fascinating review.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Carnathan
    Jan - Thanks for the suggestion. I was thinking that it would be easier to compare the Sigma with the other lenses if it were positioned between them. The positioning would be very easy to change if this was not a good idea.

You've got a point there. Not so much in the single-row comparison shots(like the bokeh-comparison), but in the busier tabels wth both columns and rows, it makes some sense...

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Carnathan
    Perhaps you can win the Think Tank Photo bag (see today's news) - then the space excuse would no longer apply. [img]/emoticons/emotion-1.gif[/img]

Haha thanks for the tip! It might sound stupid, but I didn't even have facebook [A] Now I do and it turns out that it's quite practical with my GPS-workouts as well! Thanks![]